《 husband & wife 》

HUMAN AU

Sophie and Keefe walked hand in hand through their local park, eyes affixed on the setting sun in the distance. Fall had come late this year, and everything about their surroundings was beautiful. The fallen leaves, the colorful mountains, the pastels staining the sky . . .

It took Sophie's breath away.

"Foster?" Blond hair fell into Keefe's eyes as he looked down at her, his gaze a mastery of the worried husband he always was. "Are you alright?"

"Mhm." Sophie stretched up on her tiptoes to tuck her face in his neck, and Keefe's arms wound around her waist to support her.

"That's not a real answer, y'know."

"I'm fine," she insisted, pulling him toward the flower-lined trail in the distance. This was her favorite activity on Sunday afternoons — a walk in the park, her husband's company, and warm cuddles beneath a cherry tree.

Keefe didn't seem to believe her claim that she was fine, however, but Sophie wasn't lying. She was happier than she'd been in awhile — although that didn't come without its repercussions.

Keefe was a music producer. Ever since he'd learned guitar in seventh grade it had been his dream. And now, four years of college later, he'd achieved his goal. But Sophie missed him. He was gone often on trips, and she didn't quite know what to do with herself when he was absent.

"I'm just happy you're here," she told him, nuzzling her nose against his cheek.

Keefe smiled smugly. "Of course you are. As a matter of fact, the whole city is happy." He pointed to a little boy dipping his toes in the river running through the park. "See that little boy? Even he's smiling."

Sophie laughed. "He doesn't know you."

"I bet he can feel my presence. What else could prompt a smile that big?"

Sophie shoved him, fighting the giggle that threatened to escape her. As Keefe grabbed her from behind, she squeaked in surprise.

"You're so adorable," he murmured in her ear. "I can't believe I get to keep you."

She blushed, taking a quick glance down at her wedding ring. His initials were scrawled on it, along with her own. Although she loved those additions, the real treasure was the diamond sparkling in the fading sun.

If Keefe weren't there to tease her, she might've stared a lot longer.

"I'm starting to think you like that ring more than me," Keefe said, smirking.

"Me too," Sophie teased.

As the couple reached a bridge leading over the river, Keefe scooped Sophie up — bridal style — and carried her across. A smile lifted her lips. He did this all the time, and she couldn't blame him for worrying she'd fall over the edge.

Sophie, unfortunately, was a klutz, and her husband was well aware.

Oftentimes she'd end up tangled in a pile of blankets, or trip on the edge of their kitchen island. She also talked to their furniture often, blaming them for her stubbed toes and aching ankles. Keefe thought it was hilarious.

Sophie rested her head on Keefe's shoulder as he walked gracefully across. He felt a little stronger than she remembered, though she wondered when on earth he had the spare time to work out.

"I can walk, you know," she whispered.

"Debatable."

Sophie scowled. "I'll shove you."

"Right now? Then we'll both fall."

Sophie folded her arms as he reached fresh grass on the opposite side. "Put me down."

"Bossy today, aren't you?"

Sophie glanced back at his lips, trying so hard not to smile, and they both broke into laughter. She giggled as he caught her waist and hauled her back to him, tickling her under her chin. Sophie shrieked and struggled, wondering why on earth she had married this man —

But then.

A tree bit into her back, and Keefe's hands pinned her arms overhead. He smirked. "Gotcha."

The breath left her lungs. Sophie licked her lips, wishing they weren't so dry. Keefe didn't seem to mind, though. He released her arms and instead lifted her up onto her tiptoes for better clearance. His lips were softer than she'd ever felt.

"Keefe," she murmured. "I —"

"Shhh." He kissed her again.

Sophie gave in. No way was Keefe letting her go, and his lips were too warm to not enjoy on a chilly afternoon.

"Good girl." His voice was soft, a little husky.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

Keefe finally let her go, but Sophie dove into his arms, now craving a hug. "Keefe."

"What?" He kissed her forehead before resolving to kiss her blonde waves one by one.

"I wish you were home all the time. I've hardly seen you this month."

"I'll be home more," he said, cupping her face in his hands. "I promise."

Sophie's lips trembled, and Keefe kissed them once to remind her to relax. "You can't possibly promise that," she whispered.

"Of course I can. You're my top priority."

She lifted her gaze to meet a pair of ice blue eyes reflecting the sunset. "Always?"

"Always."