Remus Lupin and Classes

How dare he?

Rose thought about what Sirius had just said to her as the bells chimed telling the students they were meant to leave the Great Hall and begin heading to their classes. Rose exited the area and began walking down the hall as she felt a presence beside her, a boy from the table, the one who seemed to cringe when she mentioned Regulus to Sirius. Someone who's name she still did not know.

"You don't seem very pleased." He said.

"We have your friend to thank for that." She responded, maybe a bit too bitterly.

".....I'm Rose by the way." She continued in a nicer tone, she was sure he had gathered that already but wanted to properly introduce herself.

"Remus Lupin."

Remus walked with his hands in his pockets, there was an aura of sleepiness or disinterest about him, and he smelled nice. That paired with his scars made him seem like the type of person anyone could find intriguing.

"Well despite how it may seem, it's nice to meet you Remus."

He nodded in agreement.

"I really thought James and Sirius had started on pranks early." He said with- a smile. Not what Rose had expected. She chuckled lightly.

"Yeah, I probably should have gotten more sleep but I'm sure I'll spend plenty of nights awake if it's as nice as it was last night, I wonder how well guarded the library is after hours...."

"Not well enough, you spend enough time in there and I'm sure we'll cross paths again" He said before stifling a yawn. 

"In any case, I'll see you around."

"Yeah! See you around."

Rose replied as he walked off into a classroom she assumed was his first class of the day as she made her way to her own.

Which just happened to be charms. A good subject to start off the day. The professor seemed energetic despite the time. Rose was glad for this at first, but as the class went on and her own energy stores depleted she was not as grateful that she would no longer match his energy. The class was interesting anyway, and they practiced an actual charm that day! Though she couldn't make her quill float like most of the other students she enjoyed bringing out her wand in her very first class on her first day! She even got a compliment on the look of her wand from a boy as they were packing up their things to go to their next class.

Her next class was History of Magic, which wasn't boring, Rose had always loved history especially history about magic, but when you consider that in her first class she got to learn a levitation spell this one was significantly harder to focus in. Even so Rose took plenty of notes and annotated them with little doodles to keep herself awake.

This time when the bells chimed it was to signify that lunch would soon begin in the Great Hall, which she was thankful for, knowing food would supply her with more energy. 

Rose had wanted to sit with Lily at lunch, but between the impromptu prank she pulled and the fact that Lily sat close to the marauders she decided not to. Regardless of how her separate conversation with Remus had gone and how the last of the four boys seemed harmless Rose had decided Lily may have been right about them. Perhaps they were trouble.

Instead of her original plans Rose opted to sit with some of her housemates for lunch though she would probably only speak to Ode.

Lunch went by quickly, being focused mostly on eating and avoiding any conversation that might bring up family or where she was from most definitely had something to do with that. The bells chimed again, ending lunch as Rose got up to head to her third class of the day.

She entered the potions classroom and saw Severus talking with Regulus, two empty spaces left next to them, and decided to join the two.

"Hello Black, Snape." Rose said with a smile, directed more at Regulus than Snape.

"Hello, Evans." Snape said in his drawly voice.
"I must say, I didn't expect you to be in my house." He continued.

"Oh? Where did you expect me to be?"

"Hufflepuff maybe."

Coming from him that was almost an insult.

"Hufflepuff is a nice house, I hear their common room is very pretty, sunlight and plants everywhere. Sounds like my room back home. Wouldn't you agree?"

"You know him from home?" Regulus asked.

"Yes, he's friends with my sister Lily."

"We are rather close. Lily and I. However I must be going, I have my own classes. Take the advice I gave and this class will be rather easy for you, Black." Severus said as he moved from the table, mumbling a pardon me as he moved past Rose out of the classroom.

"I almost forgot he wasn't in our year." Rose said to Regulus as she sat on the stool next to his.

"Yes. He did quite well in potions last year, so I left lunch early to discuss it with him. Figured this would be a good place to do so since it was my next class anyway."

"I think that's the most I've ever heard you say all at once." Rose said, happily surprised. She had gotten him talking on the Hogwarts Express, perhaps he would still want to talk to her at school.

"That's because it probably is." He responded as the professor took his place at the front of the classroom.

"Welcome." He said then introduced himself before taking roll. Professor Slughorn. He seemed to be a jovial man. He would stop at some names to make a comment, usually about their pedigree. He even stopped when he got to her name.

"Another Evans? Your sister Lily did outstandingly in my class, I'm sure if you take after her you will flourish as well, Miss Rose."

As far as Rose could tell Lily did outstandingly at everything. Rose liked competition but hated     trying to be as good as Lily. That would be a losing game.

"Wanna try to beat me at this class, Black? I get tips from Lily since you got them from Severus? Whoever comes out with better marks wins?" Rose whispered as the professor moved onto a different student.

"Absolutely."

Slughorn had made a comment about Regulus as well, something about how it was all well and good that he was in Slytherin unlike his brother. Seemed an odd thing to say in Rose's opinion. Even if he was the head of their house.

The class went on and finally the tiredness was growing. While the professor did show them some vials and potions they didn't try anything hands on the first day, which was understandable but also a little disappointing. The sounds of small glass vials clinking together as he placed them back in their proper places was fond to Rose's ears and made her even sleepier.

As class concluded Regulus spoke up again

"Would you like to start eating breakfast together? Unless you plan to eat with your roommate I know I saw you talking with her at lunch."

"I see her at night when I get to my dorms, I don't really have to sit with her first thing in the morning. Why do you ask?"

"While sitting with our house is...decent, I'd much prefer to sit alone, or almost alone. If you'd join."

"Ah! So this is a permanent seating arrangement then?"

"Something like that. Yes." 

"Sure. They are far too loud in the mornings anyway." Rose said with a smile before continuing.

"I hope you don't mind the smell of cinnamon."