Chapter 24: Truth Is Out

Lizzie puts down her phone and I look over at her with a bare expression.

"I thought you didn't want to tell anyone you were staying here? What happened to our agreement?" I ask her, a bit annoyed that she broke it. Especially after everything that happened earlier with Gabby.

"I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't have but I needed to yell at at least one person just so they know where I am. I know for a fact that Scarlett would never tell a soul unless it was life or death. I promise," she responds and I sigh. It's really hard to be mad at her. She's just too cute.

"I get that but you could have at least told me she knew. How long has she known?" I ask, wondering how long she has been keeping this from me.

"Um. Since... the night I kissed you at the pond," Lizzie says and my eyes widen. She wasn't even living with me yet?!

"You weren't even staying with me yet though. That's the night you ran out, remember?" I say confused.

"Yes, I remember. After I ran out I called Scarlett and told her everything that happened. After a week I wanted to come back but I wasn't going to because of the stuff I told you. About not wanting to mess your life up. She's the one who convinced me to give it a chance and come back." She explains and I look at her.

"Give what a chance?" I ask, confused again.

"Us," she states and I freeze not knowing what to say.

Not being able to speak I do the next best thing. I look into her eyes, then down to her lips, then her eyes again slowly leaning in. She quickly clues into what I am doing and leans in too, moving her hand onto my leg for balance. I raise my hand to her face rubbing my thumb across her lips before sliding that hand behind her head. With one swift motion, I pull her into a soft but passionate kiss. I go to pull away but am quickly pulled back into the kiss by Lizzie who is enjoying herself.

The moment slowly ends as we both pull away, our cheeks flush with red and our hearts beating fast. I make eye contact with her before speaking.

"You don't know how long I have been waiting to do that," I say with a small smile appearing on my face.

"I'm glad you finally did," she responds in a soft but sweet tone.

I can't describe how I am feeling at this moment. All I know is that I am extremely happy and thankful to be in the same room as the beautiful woman in front of me. I still have no idea how I was lucky enough to be in this situation but I am so glad that I am.

Lizzie and I maintain eye contact for a long while in silence, blushing softly keeping the moment alive. A short while later, I notice Lizzie's face change. She is definitely tired now so I decide to speak.

"How about we go to bed now?" I ask and she nods her head. We both stand up and I make my way to my bedroom to grab some clothes and she does the same. I go to the office to change so I can let Lizzie have some privacy. I do my nightly ritual, brushing my teeth and such, while Lizzie does the same. Once I am finished, I go to see if Lizzie is done too.

Laying on my bed to one side, Lizzie has her eyes closed with the sheets neatly pulled over her. I don't want to wake her so I stand in the doorframe, slightly leaning on it, and admire the sleeping woman in front of me. After a few seconds, I turn around to go sleep in the office when one of the floorboards creak waking her up.

"You can't be serious?!" Lizzie says sounding annoyed.

"What?" I ask confused.

"We're you just about to go sleep in the office on the air mattress?"