Chapter 12: The Mage Marcus

Even if the nobles were greedy for talents, in exchange for such valuable information, it's obvious they would have gone blind with lust.

The Grand Duke of Valorean a more 'noble' family beside the imperial family, in the Septimus Empire where power, prestige and bloodlines are the requirements for ones value.

Usually mentioning such a high ranking aristocrat is a cause of offence, if they are not present in society, especially when there is no direct connection between the two. Because Celestine's identity is proven to be associated with House Valorean, there is a justifiable notion that the Grand Duke will be making his way back to high society.

A handsome bachelor with a daughter 'needing' a son-in-Law to 'carry on the title', which is the supposed way of things.

But of course all is a distraction, for who is to know that Celestine without prior education at any formal academy would become the future duchess?

Of course with strength.

Slipping away between the crowd her body hidden under a cloak, she held a prepared letter and had it sent from the postal office to Venom Mercenary group.

Stamped with her private insignia for Dusk, Celestine then rode a carriage to an expensive inn 'The Rosalind', removing her wig and combing her hands through her long white hair.

With a bandage tightly wrapped around her chest she looked like a handsome knight, the gleaming gold badge lightly stained with dust.

Rubbing her face with a handkerchief she clamoured out of the carriage and looked at the contemptuous gaze of the steward, looking at her beautiful face with jealousy.

"I'm looking for Count Elan." She commanded adjusting her hood, hearing his cold snort staring him up and down.

"Please wait here." Rolling his eyes before walking off.

A group of ladies filed out of the hotel, having enjoyed sweet tea and desserts they giggled behind their fans gowns fluttering like flower petals in the wind.

Glancing over at Celestine who was stood stiffly with her arms crossed, lost in thought she didn't notice the young ladies staring at her blankly.

Her dazed eyes glanced far in the distance, a faint smile on her lips as she listened to interesting gossips and news people were discussing.

"Did you hear, apparently there's been a robbery in the northern magic tower? many of the ancient artefacts have been stolen."

"How do you know?"

"Lord Redony and Castor of the northern and western towers were fighting in the street, lately there's been great unease due to the aggressive nature of the mages!"

'It seems Victor has been doing a good job lately.' Nodding her head at her grandfathers escort knight who handed over the pouch of gold, before sending a message that Celestine would be back later.

"After all the mages of the Septimus Empire are not unified and causing harm to the public!"

"What if they harm a high ranking noble one day?"

'They will. It will cause major unrest,persecution and condemnation before a witch hunt will take place.' Putting a way the badge and turning away to deal with other affairs, Celestine paused and glance back with a frown.

"Lady Violetta! Please send my letter to Master!"

Chestnut brown hair and golden amber eyes with flickers of green, holding the arm of her maid as she warned him agitatedly.

Her delicate face filled with displeasure.

"Young Duke, you should know that I am someone with ill health. If you have offended my father, then you should deal with that yourself..."

"...Sir Brightly?" Looking at the startled fiery eyes, as he turned around violently.

"Excuse me Lady Crudêl..." He whispered holding his breath.

'That breath... the mana trace, it's...' Looking around the surroundings behind him to see nothing out of the ordinary.

"Sir Marcus? Are you alright?" Seeing his pale face and trembling fingers, he awkwardly bowed before teleporting away.

Holding a frayed leather notebook at a glance it looks old, the pages yellow with the smell of smoke and dried blood, dried water stains and tears can be seen on the front.

Leaning against the wall of a dark alleyway he pulls out what appears to be a diary from his storage ring.

"How is this here? It's impossible the diary-"

Aggressively pulling off his left glove with his teeth his fingers rub against the initials engraved with the metal point of a quill.

'C.N'

The wind fluttering through the pages allowed him to see faint letters and drawings greyed from old age.

Clenching his hand on the opened diary, Marcus's eyes darkened bewildered and excited at the same time.

"She was close by."

***

Archmage Celestine Nicht who had unified a force of mages despite the Empresses oppression, as a result of poisoning the people's minds with her blood.

The mages due to the Empires outrage over the death of the former Marquess Ashford and her daughter, it resulted in the persecution and slaughtering of mages.

The Empress influencing the Empire to believe that a mage was no different to a demon or a monster, resulting in the development of the shackling.

Completely binding a mages mana enough for one to live, Celeste Nicht had found a way to destroy it and hid her forces in the shade of orphanages she'd sponsored.

Duke Marcus Kane Brightly had similar contempt for Celeste as the other nobles, despise for being naturally gifted and taking away the attention of his master Marquis Crudêl.

Despite his fellow mage compatriots dying around him, he believed he was right till her last breath.

Swept by the betrayal of his close aide Victor Jenkins, the illegitimate son of Baron Jenkins an alcoholic, who fled joining hands with her without hesitation.

Only for a restriction spell to be placed on to him, after he tried to kill them both.

"You fell in love with a shell, how superficial." were Celeste's last words to him.

After her death when everyone 'woke up' from their delusions, it was the mage tower developed by the Archmage that oppressed the Imperial family.

Emperor Hugo to carry out his duties as king to the impoverished lands post-war, regardless of his demands the tower refused his desire to see the remnants of the Archmage.

Clothing, magical items, weapons and her diary. Which despite being found by the Emperor was taken from him and the Duke, a renowned mage before the persecution began was imprisoned.

Died unable to unlock the secrets of the Archmage.