Windrixville

Dalia's POV

I got on the train and was shocked by how polite the people were. I accidentally walked in front of someone and they said sorry.

It almost made me feel bad for acting like a bitch towards everyone in this town so far.

The train got to Windrixville in record time. The train ride felt like nothing compared to when I would go from state to state.

I got off the train and it must have been at least one in the morning.

I was exhausted.

I still had a good amount of money for a hotel for the night. So instead of searching for wherever the hell Dallas might be, I decided to walk around town.

It was late at night which made me nervous. I wouldn't dare walk around New York at night by myself. I'm hoping it might be a bit different here.

I made it to the town and it was nothing like I've ever seen before.

There was nothing.

In New York, there were tall buildings with people everywhere no matter what time of day.

In Nashville, there was still tall buildings. Maybe not as many people, but still a lot.

Tulsa was at least still a city!

This place was... not what I was expecting.

When I thought of country towns, I thought of long open plains and a house here and there.

This town was a smaller place. But buildings lined the street. They were no tall buildings, or anything, but there were one story buildings that laid across the street. There was one road that went on until I couldn't see anything anymore.

There looked to be a small little restaurant at the end of the street with a park on the other side of it. Then maybe a bar and a hotel?

Is this all there is?

I looked around for a bus stop.

There was no cars or anything.

It was silent.

I walked down the street to see maybe the five buildings there were in the town. But lucky for me, there was a motel.

I opened the door and the little bell rang. The man sitting at the counter looked up from the paper. "Well, I'll be damned. Someone I've never seen before."

I tried to give him a small smile. "Hi..." I mumbled. I really needed to work on my people skills.

"How can I help ya, young lady?" He asked in his deep country voice.

"Umm... I'm just looking to see how much to stay a night here."

"Fifty cents." He said taking his hat off.

My mouth dropped in disbelief. "F-fifty cents?" I asked.

"Mhmm." He said, taking a whiff of his cigar.

"I- well, shoot. I guess I'll take a room here then." I said with a laugh.

"Where ya from?" He asked handing me a key.

I handed him two quarters. "New York."

"I coulda guessed that. You don't sound like anyone I know."

It made me uncomfortable how many people could tell where I was from by the way I talked...

"Hey, I've got a question for ya." I said with a grin.

"Lay it on me." He said, leaning back on his chair with his cigar between his fingers.

"Is this all there is in this town?" I asked, trying not to sound rude.

"Nah. This is what most people here consider the outskirts of town. Downtown Windrixville is about a mile down to ya left once ya walk outta here."

It was hard to understand him by his thick accent. But I think I got here he was going with it.

"If you drive down or walk down a couple miles, you'll start to see some houses. Keep going straight, you'll make it to the next city over. Turn left onto Fenton, you'll make it to town. You'll see a Dairy Queen once you hit the end of the road and then the rest of the downtown will lay out in front of ya. You turn right on Fenton, you'll make it to a place called Jay Mountain."

I tried to take in everything he said. Right, downtown. Left, mountain. Straight a mile. Fenton Road.

Ill figure it out.

"Wow. Thanks a bunch." I said with a grin.

"You're welcome, madam." He said. He put his hat back on and smiled at me with his cigar back in his mouth.

Guys like that normally scared me, but he seemed so sweet and genuine.

I grinned and walked outside to get to my room.

I walked around the wooden wrap around porch until I made it to room 7A. It was the second to last room before you got to the second floor.

I almost wish I got a room on the second floor just to see if I could see anything.

Well... there's nothing stopping me.

I walked up the stairs and went to the front of the building again. You could see on top of all the buildings in the area. I felt like I was the queen of the world.

But I looked down the road but it was nothing but black.

I guess it was too late at night to see anything.

I went back down and opened the door. It wasn't the worst place in the world. It was kinda cozy. It had one bed and a door I assume led to a small bathroom.

I took off my jacket and laid in the bed. I wish I had brought more stuff with me, but it was so sudden.

Hell, one second I planned on keeping Dallas in New York by staying up till ungodly hours of the night.

It felt like the next second I was halfway across the country.

Y'know, if I get a job and work down here and just spend nights traveling the state and figuring things out, I almost wouldn't mind it here.

But I've got a long day ahead of me tomorrow.

I gotta stop overthinking and get some sleep.