Chapter 19 - The Sword

^above is trailer for 1.2 "The Chalk Prince and the Dragon"^

Aether POV for a second

I led Albedo outside the campsite, leaving Paimon to distract y/n. I knew that he would be asking question after question of her, and I wanted to just tell him a very vague reason not to be pushy. 

"Look, y/n is different from others - just take it easy on her." I said, trying not to get into detail. "If you see her doing something a bit odd, don't look too much into it." 

Albedo crossed his arms. "When you say it like that, then it's hard not to look into it. You make it sound like she's someone bad." 

I sweat-dropped. "She isn't bad- well- just don't act suspicious of her!" Becoming exasperrated, I ended the conversation and we walked back towards y/n, who was watching some potion brew. 

Albedo crossed his arms and cleared his throat, making her turn back around. I elbowed him a bit, and he sighed. 

"I needed you guys to take a look at this." He held out a sword, and it floated upwards, hovering in midair. 

back to your POV

You studied the purple sword, sensing its pulsing aura. It had a bad feeling to it, yet seemed familiar. 

"Huh? What's this?" Paimon asked, staring at it with wide eyes.

"As you can see, it is a sword." Albedo said, eyes narrowed at it. 

"Into forging, are you?" Aether said, and Albedo chuckled. 

"I did not make this sword. However, I did add some alchemical touches to it." 

"Where did you find the sword?" You asked, shuffling back. Its power had an uneasy effect on you. 

"That, is a story for another time." Albedo crossed his arms, eyes piercing into you. You stared right back at him, and he finally looked back at Aether after a second. 

"Would you like to try it out, Traveler?" 

"You're giving it to me?" Aether asked, a bit surprised. 

"My research indicates that this sword has some... unique properties." He explained. "Only you can use it." 

"But I need to gather data from it quite urgently - so, could I bother you to use it in battle?" 

"Waaait a second. How can there be a sword that only one person can use?" Paimon asked, suspicious. 

"Any adverse side effects?" Aether asked. 

"Very astute of you." Albedo said, crossing his arms. "This sword has indeed had a curse laid upon it." 

"It does," You mumbled, making them glance over at you. 

Aether seemed to give him a look, and Albedo grit his teeth, continuing with the explanation. 

"An ordinary person would be unable to wield it at all. However, you are an exception." 

"Huh...?" Paimon said, confused. 

"Or perhaps I should say that only you are immune to the curse. As such, who could I find to help me, if not you?" Albedo said. 

He sighed. "We gain little from saying more. Go find some monsters nearby - after all, some things are best discovered through practice." 

~

As a group, we all walked out of the campsite, and down the hill into Wrymrest Valley. While you were walking, you got a weird feeling, and a shiver went down your spine that was definitely not from the cold. You looked around, slowing a bit, then snapped back to reality when Aether called your name. You noticed that they had gotten pretty far ahead, and Albedo seemed suspicious. You quickly joined them, trying to shake off that feeling. You and Aether shared a look, and you both went a bit in front of Albedo.