Baby Chick

Another small chapter, sorry 😭 

                ༺═──────────────═༻

"Have you seen any weird events or something suspicious?"

We have been questioning people around here for some time now.

The problem is that It's hard to identify something 'unusual' in a city where everyone is already used to these things, people tried to pickpocket me five times already, I guess that's what Rengoku meant when he said that the demon is not the only danger around here.

"Seems like you got quite the beauty with you, huh? I might tell some information if you let me pay a drink for her." The old man who Rengoku was questioning said in response, scanning me up and down.

"Ew."

In response Kyojuro protectively got in front of me, he wasn't smiling anymore.

Damn, Kyojuro is kinda scary when he is not smiling-

"Y-you asked me if I saw something unusual, right? Are talking about the Lustrio Hotel?" The man responded back, gulping down in fear.

"Lustrio hotel?"

"It's a hotel that the rich people frequent, there's not much fancy things around here as you can see, so it calls a lot of attention!"

A hotel? What a demon would do in a hotel?

"What do you think?" Rengoku turns to ask me.

"Well, it's the first clue that we get, I think it's worth investigating at least."

"I agree."

 "Who were these people you was talking to?"

A woman approaches the man as the two leave to go look for the hotel.

"No one important, just another of these annoying demon's slayers."

"Won't he get mad that you reveled his location?"

"It's fine, I doubt they will show any risk to him, it's a shame that I can't enjoy the girl before she dies, though."

"It's here."

Wow, it really is fancy! It doesn't match the suburban vibe that this city has at all, so weird.

"It definitely seems like out of place. Should we go inside?"

"I don't know, if really there is really a demon in there, our uniforms will call a lot of attention."

"Then…"

"So… Mr. Rengoku and Mrs. Rengoku, right?"

We ended up sticking with pretending to be a married couple.

By the way, I'm not complaining, I could be called 'Mrs. Rengoku' with no problems for the rest of my life.

What I didn't expect was this hotel to be so pricey, there goes all the payment I received from the corps.

I was almost crying as Kyojuro signed the papers.

The money I could use to buy food-

But I got to see Kyojuro using formal clothes, so it's a plus, yeah, I could consider it to be an investment.

How I wish I had a camera….

We booked a random room and now were walking around the corridors.

—/"Now we investigate it, be careful to not bother the civilians around here."

"Leave it to me! There's no need to worry since I'm the most reliable person in the whole corps!"

I don't believe anything that came out of my mouth just now.

Responding to my silliness, Kyojuro only gently smiled and ruffled my hair.

"Yeah, you are."

Wha-

He's so-

Wait, we must look like brother and sister for outside people right now! And this, besides blowing off our cover, it also gets on my nerves-

"…. Y-you can't do that! We are supposed to be a married couple, remember?"

"Pfft- you kind of remind me of a baby chick."

"….a baby chick?"

Was that a compliment?

Serious, like, what does he mean? Why a baby chick?

I look intensely at his face, trying to see any sign of it being a joke, but he still has a gentle smile.

"Why a baby chick?"

When I asked this, he just furrowed his brows and looked at me in deep thought, his face suddenly started to turn red before he said: "I-I'm going to search in this direction."

He ran away?!

Without other options, I chose to investigate the opposite direction.

….but seriously, why a baby chick?