comforting your child when you find out they're being bullied (requested)

You and Rosie locked eyes and started to smile at each other when you first heard the small footsteps on the stairs and then padding across the floor as your nine-year-old daughter made her way downstairs.

It's early but your daughter still had a few minutes left to sleep before you or w would go and wake her.

But you just thought she was in a bright mood and woke up excited and ready to take on the day and whatever came her way.

You felt a tug on the sleeve of your sweater and you put down your mug to look at your little girl, who was clutching her stomach and pouting a little.

"I don't think I should go to school today. I don't feel good." She said before faking a cough into her elbow.

"Oh, honey. What's wrong? You're sick?" Rosie asked as she knelt in front of your little girl, placing her hand onto her forehead.

Rosie looked at you after pulling her hand away a few seconds later, shaking her head wordlessly to tell you that your little girl didn't have a fever.

"Sick? Are you sure? You don't have a fever, honey." Rosé said as she tucked a lock of hair behind your daughter's ear, who was now looking between the two of you with big eyes. "I think you could go to school."

"No! My tummy hurts. Real bad!"

You both shared a worried expression as your daughter whined dramatically, clutching her stomach again.

Something was wrong but you had a feeling that she wasn't sick.

You wouldn't say that your daughter loves school but you wouldn't say that she hates it either.

She doesn't put up a fight about going. She knows school is important and she has a few friends that she sees every single day.

She usually enjoys going and she's always so excited when she gets home, sharing different things that she learned with both you and Rosie.

She doesn't get sick often and when she does, it's very easy to tell that she's sick.

And as you look at her right now, she doesn't look sick to either of you in the slightest.

Her skin isn't losing color. According to Rosé, she doesn't have a fever. She hasn't been throwing up. The cough she let out a moment ago didn't seem bad at all. There was no sniffling, no sneezing, and overall no sign of being sick.

"Okay, sweetie, you know we don't lie." You told her as you knelt in front of her, sending her a small smile. "You love school. Why don't you want to go?"

She let go of her stomach and hung her head in sadness.

"Baby," Rosie whispered. "Look at us. Talk to us."

She sniffled before looking back up at you and Rose with tears in her eyes.

"I don't want to go to school anymore. I don't like it." She said as tears filled her eyes. "I don't have any friends anymore. No one wants to be my friend. Kids keep making fun of me."

Your heart sank and so did Rosie's. You tried to hold it together but you felt angry over the confession that left your daughter's lips.

Not with her, of course.

But with the other kids at her school.

"What do they say?"

"They make fun of my looks and other things too."

Rosie bit her lip, staring at you with her jaw clenched as tears stung her eyes.

"They make me feel bad."

"Oh, baby." You said as you rubbed her back comfortingly. "I'm sure that those kids are just jealous of you."

She just shrugged her shoulders wordlessly, tears streaming down her face as she looked at the two of you, making you feel more heartbroken than you've ever felt before.

"Can I stay home? Please? I don't want to go to school today."

"Okay." You said and pulled her in for a hug and Rosie quickly joined in on it.

"It's okay, baby. Don't cry. Everything's going to be just fine, I promise." You assured her as you held her tightly.

"Why don't you go turn on some cartoons and mom and I will meet you in there in a minute. Okay?" Rosie asked her, rubbing the small girl's back as she did her very best to try and act like she wasn't upset, faking a smile.

She walked into the living room and you and Rosie let a tear fall from your eyes.

"What are we going to do?" You asked. "This isn't okay!"

"I know," Rosie said, rubbing her fingertips along your arm in comfort. "I don't know what to do but we'll keep her home for today, get her to talk to us more throughout the day, and tomorrow we go and we talk to her principal and we put a stop to this."

"What if it doesn't stop? What if it only makes things worse?" 

"We'll cross that bridge when we get to it, baby," Rosé said as she tried to get you to calm down.

"I know you're upset. Trust me, my love, I'm just as crushed as you are. I don't know how some kids can be so cruel. I don't know why people have to bully others, just because they're different or they have things other kids don't have. I don't have any answers that I know we both want. But what our daughter needs right now is comfort from her moms and for her to know that no matter what, we'll always protect her and keep her safe."

"Okay." You said, taking a deep breath. "You're right."

"Everything will be okay. We'll figure it all out, I promise. But, for now, let's go spoil our little girl with some hugs and some comfort. I think she can use some."

You nodded and pulled away from Rosie to go into the living room, where you both brought your daughter in for another hug as you promised her that you'd both do whatever it took to make things better.

"No matter what happens, you've got two moms here who love you so very much. This bullying is going to stop. We're going to go to your school tomorrow and talk with your principal and teachers and make everything better. We promise you, sweetheart." Rosie said as she wiped away your daughter's tears.

"Okay. Thank you." She said and hugged you both a little tighter as you continued to comfort her, meaning every word that you both said.