43. Karlie

One week after last chapter

"Okay, I've done it!" Mr. Rappa yelled after everyone left.

"Done what?" I asked. I've been spending more and more time with Mr. Rappa, especially after he said he'd try to adopt me. I'm not sure if he was serious or not, but I hoped he was. He'd be a pretty cool dad.

"Guess! If you guss within 5 guesses I'll give you $20!"

"Oh, going low this time, eh?"
We kept betting on stuff, If he won, I had to work 1 extra hours for every $10 dollars wagered. It's been lots of money for me and lots of time wasted too.

"Eh, my boyfriend found out and gave me a whole lecture. He's a killjoy, but I still have to get along with him some of the time." One of Mr. Rappa's favorite thing to talk about was his boyfriend. They seemed to be polar opposites and butt heads all the time. But they still seemed to make it work and be absolutely in love with each other.

"Alright, you and your boyfriend are getting married?"

"I wish."

"You finally got a space for just you and your boyfriend?" I remember him talking about other roommates from time to time, it seemed kinda like a gang then a group of friends, but who am I to judge."

"Nope, you're pretty bad at guessing."

"Shut up, let's see... You got a raise?"

"Nope. I think the person in charge forgot I work here."

"And how would that happen? You're so loud."

"You never know."

"You went into another battle and it was either awful or amazing?" He banned me from going, yet he still goes to them. He always complains about how weak everyone is and I agree. The people they find are just slightly angry people, with basic quirks, and basic fighting skills. They aren't special. But if it was worse then normal he'd complain. He also told me that I would be the first one he tells if he finally gets a good fight.

"Ugh, it was the same thing again. Weak person, weak quirk, weak skills. But not what I wanted to talk about. Last guess."

What did he do? What's something he'd be working on? Ugh, it's stupid but all I can think about at this point.

"You figured out the library system?"

"Karlie, I'm disappointed in you! You know that thing makes no sense and I won't even try to understand it!"

"Alright.  I'll work an extra hour tomorrow and after tomorrow."
I didn't really mind spending time working in the library, it was calming. Plus, Mr. Rappa was great company and helping him put books away was funny because he'd get so angry.

"Alright, works with me. Now would you like to now what I actually wanted to tell you?"

"Sure thing Mr. Librarian."

"Quit it. I'm adopting you. All you need to do is sign this paper then we need to go to the orphanage keeper to settle some things. If you want, I can take you home by Wednesday. So, in 2 days."

What. He actually wants to adopt me. I taught he was joking, but he wasn't.

"We-We've only known each other for a week..."

"I'm not a patient man. A week's enough for me."

I felt the tears start falling out of my eyes.

"Uh oh! Karlie, you okay? I didn't mean to make you cry! Dang it! What would Tengai do! No he's not good at this! Dang it! DON'T CRY!"

"Thank you..."

I went over and hugged him. It may have been a week, but I would have more time to get to know everyone.

"So, you going to sign it?" He took some papers and put them in front of me. I took a pen, and wrote my signature.