42

Aniruddh sat waiting in the doctor's cabin biting his nails, his leg felt like it had a spasm, it didn't stop ticking.

What was taking so long ?

Bondita had finally agreed to visit the hospital. She had asked him to take her immediately. No changing saree, not even going back to her room for rest after her fall. No. She was afraid her courage will disappear if she waited. Aniruddh had run to the kitchen to fill a plate with food while Koyeli made Bondita sit on the sofa in drawing room. Bondita was visibly nervous. Aniruddh wanted her to eat something before they headed out. Atleast she didn't resist that.

They were in the hospital of the medical college in Devipur. Aniruddh had asked Koyeli to accompany them in case Bondita needed some assistance. The curtain of the examination room parted reveling Bondita held by Koyeli who made her sit on the chair to the right of Aniruddh and went out of the room to let the couple have a private session with the doctor. Bondita was playing with her fingers on her lap nervously avoiding his gaze, avoiding everything that she was surrounded with right now.

" Doctor...?" His left hand on the table and right hand grabbing the handle of the chair, Aniruddh spoke. He wanted to hold her hand as he was scared, but had decided to let it be just the handle.

" Well...I asked her a few questions. She is not answering. I think she was not as ready for the visit as she thought. " The Doctor started. He was a known of Aniruddh and wanted the news to not take a toll on him.

" Mr Roy Chowdhury, your wife is pregnant."

Aniruddh heard a gasp from the next chair. He didn't have the courage to look at her.
Or to move...
Or to breath...

No congratulations Mr Roy Chowdhury... Just a single lined news. The doctor very well knew his friend was not going to be happy.

The silence was carnivorous... He heard her breaths getting deeper, rapid. He felt his stop altogether.

" What...?" He was not sure the doctor heard him.

" Your wife is pregnant...and by the history given by your helper it has been roughly a month maybe less. Right Mrs Roy Chowdhury ?" He kindly addressed Bondita who still was not looking up. It was important that she communicated.

No...no..no.no...Durga maa...!
NO...!!!

Turn to her Aniruddh... Look at her. He had to command himself. He already knew by the way she was sick, weak, by the questions she asked Koyeli that she was pregnant but he still was holding on to hope. But that just meant she was seriously ill if not with a child. But he still hoped it was not a baby. Prayed it was not a baby.

All hopes and all prayers...
Gone...

He turned to Bondita who had not moved a bit since the news was cracked.

" Bon..." He was unable to speak. Unable to face her. " Bon...di...ta..." He turned to her tilting to her in his chair.

" If yo...you...need...t...to..." Be brave Aniruddh. Be brave. He could not break in front of her. Not now. She needed him to be strong so he could hold her if she falls. She needed to talk, tell the doctor what ailed her. But she looked lost. Aniruddh was feeling helpless.

But there was no one...
No one to help them now...
No one...

" You...you need to t..talk Bon..."

" Take me home" Just one clear sentence. No quiver, no confusion.

" But... Bondita..."

" Take me home..." She repeated.

Aniruddh didn't know what to do, what to say.

" Can I talk to you Mr Roy Chowdhury ?" The doctor asked.