Hospital

Dalia's POV

Once all the blackness faded away, I realized I was in a car.

There were flashing red lights from outside the car. I saw someone standing over me. I let out a small scream as they pushed me back down.

"Calm down. You're ok."

"Huh?" I asked.

"Shh."

"No!" I yelled

"Relax. You're on the way to the hospital."

"Where's Dallas?" I asked.

I noticed Ponyboy was in the corner next to the guy from the church.

"He's in the other car." The paramedic said.

"So you let them come in this one but not Dallas?" I asked, starting to cry. "I spent DAYS finding him and I don't even get to go near him?" I yelled.

"Relax." She said again.

"Stop telling me TO RELAX!" I yelled.

I tried to sit up but I caught a glimpse of my arm. It had a small burn mark on the side. I also had a sharp pain on my back.

Wait...

I remember now...

Dallas hit me across the back!

Was he really that mad at me?

"You need to calm down. You've got third degree burns up your body and a broken rib."

"D-doesn't that paralyze you?" I asked nervously.

"That boy hit your back but he hit it in a good spot. Saved your life. It won't paralyze you. It'll probably take about six weeks to heal."

"Saved my life? How does breaking a rib save my life!?" I asked, dumbly.

"Your back was still on fire. He put it out." She said, calmly.

It was? So Dally really did help me?

I kinda felt bad for assuming the worst, but I didn't have time to think about that right now.

"I need you to just take a deep breath, alright?"

I looked around. It wasn't a very big space. I rubbed my head trying to get it to stop throbbing. I really hit the ground hard.

I looked at my leg.

Holy.

Fucking.

Shit.

Ponyboy and I were both covered with ash and soot, but this...

Oh Lord...

This wasn't just from the particles in the church.

My leg was burnt to a crisp. It burned through my pants. I felt my breathing get heavier. I noticed it before but it looked really bad now.

Next thing I knew, I passed out again.

Ponyboy's POV

"Is she gonna be alright?" I asked, nervously.

"She'll be ok. Her legs gonna have a lot of scarring on it for her life and it's gonna require a lot of physical therapy. But that's the worst of it." The nurse said.

I sighed. Why did Dallas want to ride with her instead of Johnny? I thought Johnny was the most important thing in his life. If Dallas were to care about anyone, my first guess would have always thought it was Johnny over everyone.

But she also wanted Dallas to be here.

I felt like it was some girl Dallas had a thing with back in New York or something. Dally always says he's in the cooler, but a part of me feels like he's gone back home to New York. Maybe it was to see her.

But he was dating Sylvia for a while he was "in the cooler."

It didn't make sense. If they were dating, it was obvious he was cheatin' on her. But Sylvia was always cheating on him, too.

Maybe too much smoke got to my brain cause absolutely none of this made sense.

Dalia's POV

I woke up once more, but this time it was light. There weren't any flashing lights. There was one bright light.

I felt a cold feeling on my back. My leg was in a white bandage type thing. There was small white patches up my arms, too.

"Morning." A nurse said.

I wanted to get up but my back wasn't letting me. I couldn't handle it.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"You're at the hospital. You're a lucky girl." She said with a small laugh.

"I- I don't understand." I mumbled.

"You made it out of that fire and saved the lives of ten kids! You're a hero!"

I doubt I would ever be considered a hero. Not with my past.

"I'm almost nervous to ask this, but is my leg gonna need to be amputated?"

She grinned. "No, don't worry about that. It's gonna scar, but otherwise, in a few months of physical therapy, it'll be like it never happened."

I sighed at the news. But physical therapy? Really?

I cant afford that...

"You've got someone who wants to see ya. Dallas I think he said. Do you want me to let him in?" She asked.

I opened my mouth to say yes, but I didn't wanna see him. I didn't want anyone to see me. I looked so vulnerable.

"No... not right now." I said, silently.

"Alright. He's been here all night. He seems worried." She said.

Dallas? Worried? Ha. Funny.

"Ok. So your rib is gonna take about... I wanna say six weeks to fully heal. The burns on your arms are first and second degree burns. They should be healed working 1-3 weeks depending on the burn. Your leg... it's probably gonna be 5 weeks before you can start physical therapy. It's gonna be discolored for a while. But after 4 months, you should be all good. A few pink splotches and scarring, but that's gonna be the worst of it."

I felt a bit of relief knowing that in just a few months I'll be back to normal.

My worries about an amputated leg were put aside knowing that it wasn't gonna happen, thank God.

I can live with discolored skin... I don't know how I'd be able to adjust to one leg.

It looked really bad now. But I has to trust her. That's the best I could do right now.

Trust her when she says that it's gonna heal within five weeks.

It didn't seem right, but hey. What do I know?

All I know, is that nothing will ever compare to how much it hurt when that piece of wood fell on my leg.