Chapter 25

And I can't believe how long we have come! I started this book out of sheer boredom and it's been round about two months and busy schedule which has made the progress slower but I hope the progress is worthy🙈

Do keep reading and let me know how you like the characters!

I'm sure many of you by now love Abhimanyu like anything!

A secret?

He is my favourite too😍
*_*_*

Ever since the day a girl is born in an Indian household, the parents start arranging money, for her marriage. She is taught how to be a good cook, caretaker, household manager, and lot many uncountable habits are inculcated since god knows when.

Girls carry the name of their family with them.

Between all this chaos many forget the importance of education in life.

It is important to be stable and earn your own money in this world.

Abhimanyu had always thought his parents were open-minded individuals. He respected them when they supported Surbhi in building a career from scratch. He respected them when they allowed his bhabhi ( sister-in-law) to continue her job. He even respected them when they allowed Anisha to work.

But he saw a change apparent in his mother's behaviour. She became frustrated with Anisha easily. He thought it was a phase. But he was wrong.

The entire day, yesterday, he had spent thinking about the occurrences since the confrontation. His mother had a prejudiced mind towards his wife. Now he knew.

She was influenced by what they were told or hearsay. Anisha's reputation was in pieces when he had married her. She seemed to think they had done a huge favour on the Sharma family by getting their son married with Anisha.

Abhimanyu thought it was natural on her part but what about the job. His mother did not adjust for two days and as a revenge she gave a leave to the staff. Anisha was working her ass off the whole day be it home or office.

And now he had begun to think that just maybe if he had not married her, she would be in a better place. At least busy shaping her career not arranging vegetables in the fridge of a Billionaire CEO who can afford as many staff he wants!

Abhimanyu felt at war with himself when he stood there in the doorway of the kitchen observing her working. She arranged the vegetables, started preparations for a lavish dinner when she herself had not eaten a bite since morning.

Life was unfair.

One misunderstanding and everything goes down.

Abhimanyu did not know what to do with the situation at hand. He had been thinking all this since he woke up observing the empty bed, to freshen up his mind he decided to run this morning. He went in the kitchen to make his protein shake when he saw that the bottle was full that is somebody had already made it. He looked at his wife who stood in the kitchen busy doing god knows what, surrounded by two staff who were busy in their chores.

He looked at the two staff and cleared his throat. They both including Anisha looked at him in question. He asked, " Where were you two yesterday?"

The ladies fidgeted for a moment before answering, " Sir, badi malkin ( Abhimanyu's mother) gave us an off for the day."

" All of you? I mean the entire household staff."

" Yes, sir."

Abhimanyu nodded his head and grabbed his protein shake. He left kitchen as well as the house faster than ever.

When he had come back home, everyone was up and gathered in the dining room. Abhimanyu had not realised the time while clearing his head.

Supreet spotted his younger son drenched in sweat. He had just come back from his run, it was understood. But what was not understood was how he did not give a single glance at them all and just went inside his room.

Daljeet immediately asked Anisha, " Kal raat khaana khaaya tha isne?" ( Did he eat last night?)

" Haan" ( Yes.)

Daljeet nodded and silently had her breakfast.

When the door was shut they all expected Abhimanyu to sit on his chair excusing for being late and have his breakfast but he stood beside his chair and simply asked his father, " I have tried a lot. Believe me. I want to leave all this behind. But these questions don't leave my head."

Supreet nodded, encouraging him.

" Dad, Anisha wanted to become a lawyer and she was married on the day of her entrance. I don't know what is more heartbreaking than this. Yet she has never consciously compromised for anything related to this house. But yesterday, my wife has worked like anything. Making a breakfast from nothing, yet she is taunted. She then makes amends and a lavish spread is laid on the table. I fail to understand why are all these just her responsibilities! "

Every eye on the table turned wider with the flow of his words.

" She has done everything she can to please you all and when we came to ask one thing, the request was not even heard. Why? I cannot compare Surbhi with Anisha. Agreed, because Surbhi will never sacrifice so much just for her husband's parents.

Yesterday the entire household staff was on leave and she worked without uttering a single word. If it would have been mom or anybody else for that matter, I don't think we would have heard the end of this topic and a few of the staff would have been fired by now. But surprisingly you all were unaware till now about their absence for the entire day, yesterday."

He looked at Daljeet who seemed like an adamant kid to him. He took a deep breathe and met her eyes.

" Mom, I ask you doesn't she deserve at least these six months? She has to just prepare for the entrance which is six months away. If she was not losing time because of the dramas then I would have never interfered."

" How will she manage all this together? She wants to work and study. Then she promises she won't compromise in household work but then she slacks. I become the villian in your all eyes. But nobody sees me struggling at this age. Ankita bhabhi is pregnant and on bed rest. She slacks. I am old. Kya faayda hua mere do-do bete hone ka agar meri Bahu mera dhyaan nahi rakh sakti!" ( How am I lucky to have two sons when both my daughters-in-law can't even look after me)

Anisha's eyes filled with tears. She was glad he stood for her but Mummyji thought she has to do all the work!

Kitna bhi kar lo saas, saas hi reh jaati hai.

Abhimanyu was stunned. It was his mother talking. He looked at Anisha who had teary eyes and a heartbroken smile.

They had an eye contact and Abhimanyu understood what she was doing next before he could intervene.

She said with a heartbroken voice, " Mom, whatever problems you have I will sort them out. Even if it means resigning from office." With that said Anisha gathered all the plates from the table and took them inside.

Abhimanyu stared at her and muttered to himself, " Ban gayi tum wo jo main kabhi nahi chahta tha...Ban gayi tum wo jo tumne kabhi socha na tha...dusro ke liye kab tak apne dil ke tukde karti rahogi..."
( You have become what I have never wanted you to...you have become what you never thought you would...how long will you keep sacrificing for others' sake?)