Chapter 42

"MOMMY PRETTY, MAMA STE is on the phone. She wants to talk to you."

Ella's voice stopped Avery from reminiscing. It had been a few days since Ethan had left for Minnesota, and Ella had stayed with her. It had been their normal since they agreed to be present in each other's lives. At first, her parents were worried about their relationship, knowing they had just met. But Ethan was Ethan. He didn't just win her heart, but also her parents. He even had a powerful ally in Shelly.

Avery couldn't ask for more. She gained a family. With Ethan came Ella and Doctor Stella. If not for Avery's wavering, Ethan would have wanted her to move in with them if he could have his way. But out of respect for her parents, she declined. She wouldn't want to make a similar situation with David before, moving in with a guy outside of marriage. But most of all, she wouldn't want to burden Ethan with her daily needs.

"Hi, Ste! What's up?"

"Ave! Ethan is killing me! Have you talked to him?" Doctor Stella was gasping for breath on the other line.

Avery wondered what Ethan had been bothering his sister about. "He called this morning to remind me about breakfast..." She smiled, remembering how Ethan kept telling her he loved and missed her and Ella. "You know him, commanding and all." My man, she whispered to herself.

"He asked me for your birth plan. Then he emailed it back to me with his demands. He even vetted my team for your delivery. And now he's asking me to email him back on how I will address his demands! Remind me why I shouldn't ban him in the delivery room when you give birth." Frustration was evident in Doctor Stella's voice.

"You know your brother. I didn't know he had been going this length. I'm so sorry, Ste. But, I promise I'll talk to him and tell him to get his ass off my birth plan." Avery chuckled.

Avery could hear Doctor Stella's loud breathing on the other line. "Do that, please. And for the love of God, tell him don't dare call any member of my team."

"I will. Don't worry. Ethan can be a pain, but he loves you so much. Bye, Ste." "I know. Kiss Ella for me. Bye, Ave."

A smile curved Avery's lips. She knew how protective Ethan was of her, especially with the pregnancy. She didn't expect he would be that overprotective. Ethan might frustrate Doctor Stella, but deep inside, Avery knew if there were someone who would understand him first, it would be his sister.

They both knew Ethan's reactions toward her pregnancy were the aftereffect of what happened to Patty. Since they had become a couple, Ethan ensured he missed none of Avery's prenatal checkups. He had his secretary fix his schedule to accommodate Avery's appointments. He didn't mind flying from Minnesota to Palm Coast to accompany her to her doctor's appointments.

"I wouldn't want to be left in the dark again. I will protect you and the baby." Ethan's words were music to her ears. But there were times she felt as if everything was just a dream. So fleeting. Any moment she could be awakened from it. But Shelly kept assuring her that Ethan was her life now. That she deserved all the happiness coming her way.

"Mommy Pretty, here's your juice and vitamins for the baby." Ella was all smiles as she held a glass of juice and her vitamins container.

She took the glass and the container from Ella's hands. "Thank you, Ella. The baby says thank you too."

Ella watched as she took the vitamins and drank her juice. Once Avery was done, she motioned for the little girl to sit beside her. Ella eagerly sat and started caressing her pregnant belly affectionately. In return, she tucked Ella's loose hair behind her ears and kissed her forehead. She didn't just fall in love with Ethan; Ella had got into her heart first.