Chapter 22

Happy Holidays 🤶🎄

The girl hadn't responded yet and the Queen was growing impatient for an answer, she was use to ordering and telling people what to do, not waiting for an answer, especially off a human.

The smell of fear radiating from the human was very off putting.

"That's if you know how to ride or I could teach you" the Queen stammered. How could somebody so perfect stammer so much Aerilyn thought.

"I know how to ride, well at least the basics" at this Solenne was excited but chose not to show it, she grabbed some bits of clothing that Aerilyn would need to ride and handed it to her.

Solenne stood for the first time a little intimidated and unsure of herself, she was so use to people saying yes immediately and falling at her feet, but not this stubborn girl.

Aerilyn was unsure whether to go for a ride or not, part of her wanted to walk away and tell the Queen to do one, but part of her was longing to experience this.

"I'm sure you could teach me too" she smiled warily.

Solenne's eyes reached the girls knowingly and nodded as if she was under a spell.

"Put this on and I'll put the saddles on" Solenne smiled.

Aerilyn pulled the riding boots on and some gloves, she couldn't believe how the day was turning out and even more that the Queen was saddling up the horse herself.

She strolled over to the Queen who was saddling her own horse up after she was ready. "What is her name?" She asked curiously.

"Keres" Solenne concentrated as she was putting the bridle on so effortlessly.

It was times like this that Aerilyn thought in another world she might just have been able to get on with the cold Queen, but then she was reminded of the harsh reality.

Solenne then walked over to the other stable and pulled Kade out and proceeded to saddle him up.

"Please can I do it, I feel useless stood here" Aerilyn asked shyly, she wanted to do something after all she didn't have many tasks in the castle, if any at all.

"If you'd like" Solenne half frowned pulling away.

The girl nodded her head and took over from where Solenne was. She grabbed the bridle and tried to place it on Kade's head but was struggling due to his height.

She huffed to which Solenne found amusing, she felt a prescience behind her and arms coming above her head to help her get the bridle on. The Queen's front was almost pressed into Aerilyn's back, the girl almost gasped at this, she could feel the vampires breath tickle her ears, fear flooded Aerilyn.

"Don't worry, as delectable as you might smell, the smell of fear is entirely off putting" she whispered in her ear.

Solenne stepped back not wanting to intrude on her personal space but enjoying it whilst the moment lasted. Aerilyn's eyes had widened at this.

"Let me help you up" Solenne offered.

They walked around to his side and Solenne came closer again to boost Aerilyn up into her saddle but putting her hands on the girls waist, she then walked over to Keres and climbed on.

Aerilyn followed behind Solenne until they were out of the stables and then proceeded to trot. The vampire looked so poised on the horse, like a warrior and a true Queen, the power radiated off of the both of them which intimidated the girl immensely.

She could have watched her all day on the horse, not that she would have admitted it and the Queen chose to ride a horse with her pet, the girl couldn't believe it.

They fell side by side after their short trot and headed out towards some fields that was clearly owned by the Queen on the grounds of the castle.

The grass grew thicker in these fields, it allowed the wildlife to thrive and the wild flowers to come through. The only path available was the one that had been cut.

"Are you okay?" The Queen asked sensing the overwhelming feelings that the girl felt.

"Yes, but I don't understand why you would give me this privilege" the Queen frowned at the girls response, in truth she just wanted to please her and make her happy.

"Just forget about that for now, we are two people simply enjoying riding" at this Aerilyn flashed a mischievous grin at Solenne. "Catch me if you can" and with that she raced off.

Before the Queen could process what had happened the girl was off galloping away, never one to turn down a race she chased after them.

They both laughed and smiled as Solenne had tried to catch up, to which she did eventually. "You should have seen your face, I bet you thought I was trying to run off" Aerilyn laughed stroking her horse's mane as they walked again.

She patted Kade and looked at the Queen in her golden eyes.

"I'd catch you any how" Solenne smirked also stroking her horse.

They chased each other a couple of more times laughing harder than they had before, letting go of any responsibilities either of them had, they were just two girls having fun.

There wasn't much talking needed, just laughing and carefree smiles, the awkwardness that first appeared soon drifted away.

They had stopped in a nearby meadow and got off their horses to stretch their legs.

"You are doing very well considering you haven't ridden for a while" Solenne admitted.

Aerilyn held the reigns so Kade couldn't run off. "I thought I would take a leaf out of my friend Evelyn's book and just hold on" she joked.

Aerilyn was too late to notice Solenne's reaction to the mention of her friend, the Queen was as ever good at hiding her emotions.

At this a horn blew very loudly, hurting Aerilyn's ears, she placed her hands over them, this could only mean one thing. Something was wrong.

The Queen creased her forehead and looked worried "what is going on?" Aerilyn asked, her nerves getting the better of her.

The Queen pulled Keres much closer and stepped closer to Aerilyn as if to protect her incase if an imminent attack. Both horses sandwiched the two girls very closely together. Kade knocked Aerilyn into the Queen who caught the girl with her free arm.

This flustered Aerilyn who reached out to steady herself with an arm on Solenne's waist and Solenne's arm wrapped around Aerilyn's shoulder. "We need to get back, there has probably been an attack, I'm sure the guards will be here any minute, we will wait here until they arrive" as she said that they appeared in the distance.

The guards galloped over to them, allowing them to relax a little more with the added protection.

The Queen waited before General Talc arrived to find out what was going on. "There has been an attack on a village near the borders your majesty" he spoke worriedly. She merely rubbed her head at the thought.

"Prepare the some troops, we will leave straight away" The Queen commanded. She was leaving? Aerilyn thought. Part of her felt sad at the prospect and part of her couldn't wait for her to leave.

"Aerilyn these guards will take you back to meet Nilsa, I must leave for a day or so. Do as Nilsa tells you to" the girl mumbled an 'okay' and was lifted by Solenne back onto Kade, she followed the guards back to the castle.

What Solenne didn't tell the girl was that a village on the outskirts had been attacked by werewolves and were heading straight for them on a war path.