第23章 - The Night Parade

"Yes, that would be great

"Yes, that would be great. Thank you for your help. The Gojo family sends its gratitude to the Ainu Society. Of course, I too hope to maintain friendly relations with your people. Have a nice day, thank you for the well wishes." Yuta heard Hiyori say before she finally ended the phone call. He didn't mean to eavesdrop but it couldn't really be helped since he was right next to her.

He stared down at the Rubik's Cube in his hands in thought. 'Even while incapacitated...she's still working...but what does she mean by the Ainu Society?'

"The Ainu Jujutsu Society resides over Hokkaido and they're separate from Jujutsu High. I've spent the past few years establishing peaceful, steady relations with them for the benefit of the Gojo Clan. Because of this, I've been put in charge of asking for their aid in countering this terrorist attack launched by Geto Suguru. I was just calling to confirm everything is ready and they have sorcerers in both Kyoto and Shinjuku" Yuta nodded his head in understanding, glad that Hiyori explained without him having to ask. She probably noticed his curious gaze while she was on her phone call. The realization made the tips of his ears turn red from embarrassment at being caught staring.

'Hiyori sure is working hard even while hospitalized...' He had witnessed the multiple calls and video chats she had engaged in during her time in the school infirmary whether it be going over strategies or making arrangements.

Yuta tried his best to be of service but he didn't really know much so all he could do was provide moral support, some cut fruit, and his company. She had told him that his company was more than enough but he still felt bad about not being able to contribute much to help her and everyone else for the death parade.

Speaking of everyone, it seemed it was only them on campus. Everyone else was already gone when Yuta woke up this morning including Panda, Toge, Shoko, and Satoru.

"How's the Rubik's Cube?" Yuta groaned at the mention of the dratted cube she gave him earlier. His groan elicited a soft chuckle from her lips that had him perking up immediately at the sound. Pride swelled in his chest from being the one that got her to laugh so prettily.

"It's just this one stubborn white piece." He whined, earning an amused hum from Hiyori. If Maki was here, she probably would've whacked him in the head for whining. She hated whining.

The thought of Maki made him feel uneasy. He hadn't seen her since yesterday when she confronted him and sent him running all the way back to Sendai since she was asleep by the time he got back to the school.

He was thankful for her though. Her confrontation gave him the boost he needed to finally visit Rika's grave and voice his feelings for Hiyori for the first time. It felt like a slight weight had been lifted off of his chest now that he finally told someone about his feelings for Hiyori though he felt guilty for doing so to Rika of all people.

"It's a lot simpler than you think" She said cryptically while reaching for a candy from the gift basket Nanami gave her yesterday. Yuta sighed. Of course, she had managed to figure out how to solve it already.