第25章 - By Your Side

Yuta wasn't sure how long he held onto Hiyori until she finally stopped crying

Yuta wasn't sure how long he held onto Hiyori until she finally stopped crying. At one point or another, her sobs slowly died down until they were light sniffles. No one said anything. Everyone remained silent while Hiyori cried her heart out for her deceased uncle. It was obvious that Hiyori still cared for the treacherous man. Yuta disliked Geto Suguru with a passion for hurting his friends but he knew that Hiyori, no matter how hard she tried, couldn't hate the now-deceased cursed user even after everything because she still clung to the happier times they had together.

Ever since he left and became a murderous cursed user, Satoru and Hiyori both had multiple chances to kill Suguru but they didn't each time because, to them, he was still someone they valued and cared for greatly in their lives.

That was the thing about love, no matter what form it took, it could become the most twisted curse or the most beautiful blessing.

The familial love shared between Suguru and Hiyori had become a curse that left invisible scars all over Hiyori's heart.

It would take time for her to get over it and her friends were willing to help her each step of the way.

"Thanks" She murmured softly, sniffling slightly. She let go of Yuta's jacket and wiped the tears in her eyes with the back of her hand.

"Anytime" Yuta responded, his voice just as soft.

"You feeling better?" Maki asked, patting Hiyori's messy hair down so the strands didn't stick out wildly at odd angles. Hiyori nodded rubbing her eyes which she was sure were red and swollen from all the tears she shed.

"I'll be okay...I just need time"

"We'll always be here if you need us" Panda said, helping Yuta stand while Toge helped Hiyori up. She struggled to stand up and leaned against Toge for support.

"Shake" Toge said in agreement while patting Hiyori's head. Hiyori sniffled again and her lips curved up in a small smile.

"Thanks, guys. Thanks for being here...and putting up with me even though I feel like I'm at rock bottom right now" Her friends smiled.

"Of course, what are friends for?" Maki said with a toothy grin while looping an arm around Hiyori's shoulder.

"If you're at rock bottom then we're just gonna have to bring you back up to the top again" Panda added.

"No matter how many times you fall, we'll be here" Yuta said, gently squeezing Hiyori's arm the same way she always did for him whenever he wasn't feeling the best. He smiled when he noticed the twinkle return to her violet-blue eyes. Her smile widened.

"I hope you all know that goes for everyone here" Hiyori replied.

"Yea, especially Yuta. But at least he's finally growing a spine" Maki commented, causing Yuta to rub his neck sheepishly.