45. monsters in the dark

045

045

It only took a few seconds before her eyes adjusted to the sudden gloom that took over her bedroom. 

The moonlight glanced in through the drapes, giving her the slightest bit of lighting that allowed her to locate her way into the hallway.

She was able to feel around and immediately know where she was.

That might have been different for Jungkook.

Devora flickered with the switch in her room, checking to see if it would work.

Out of luck.

The power must've gone out from the intense rainfall.

She took a deep breath in, glancing out into the pitch-black hallway.

Devora hated the dark.

Even now as a twenty-one-year-old, she couldn't stand being in the dark. Alone or not.

Rigid goosebumps penetrated her arms and uncovered legs, trembling at the sense of risk that flourished against her knees.

'Okay, alright. Jungkook is still here. That just means I have to find him, and things will be better.' She attempted to placate herself.

Bathroom. He had to be in there.

"Jungkook?" Her voice was damaged with panic, her throat parched like she hadn't drank water for days.

She pushed on the bathroom door discreetly, squinting her eyes as she examined the room.

There was nothing but darkness, an unoccupied bathroom with no Jungkook inside.

Devora's heart picked up speed, chewing her lower lip.

That was unusual. Even if Jungkook did leave the bathroom, would he be able to walk around her house like it was nothing?

Especially in the dark, he may have gone over once, but did that mean he already has the works of her apartment memorized?

What would he be doing roaming around? It would make much more sense if he stopped and looked for her in her bedroom.

The sound of an igniting matchstick sounded through her apartment, causing Devora to immediately face her body towards the end of the hallway.

Nobody was there.

Her shoulders snipped, breathing out through her lips in relief that there wasn't some psycho with a butcher's knife waiting at the end of the hallway.