[025] ━━ yuri and her guarded heart

real life

FOR once, the Choi household wasn't all sunshine and butterflies

FOR once, the Choi household wasn't all sunshine and butterflies. It was ugly green monsters and dark shadows, it was werewolves during a full moon and it was a mosquito sucking the blood out of a body. It was anything but good in the Choi household. Yuri felt her heart rate increase. She felt her throat grow dry and tears sting her eyes as she stands in her kitchen, arguing with her father. Her step-mother and siblings were in the background, afraid to have their say.

      "You don't understand," Yuri was saying. Her voice was straining as she tries to get her father to understand her, "you don't fucking understand."

      "Yuri," her father says harshly, "don't use that language with me."

      Yuri scoffs bitterly, "it's the only way I can get you to listen to me. I don't want to see the woman I call my mother ever again — she stopped being my mother the moment she abandoned us. My only mother is the one standing behind me, like she always will." Yuri hears a gasp and a hiccup behind her. Yuri's certain her step-mother is tearing up now.

      "Yes, Yuri, but —"

      "Dad, can we please not do this now?" Yuri was tired. She sounded tired. She felt tired. She felt as if though the world was caving in on her and there was nothing she could do about it. She couldn't escape it because she had no time left. There was only time for her to accept her fate; Choi Yuri will never ever be good enough.

      Her dad sighs, running a hand over his face. "Yuri, look, all I'm asking is for you to give your mother another chance. That's all she wants too, honey bear."

      "I'm going over to Sunghoon's," Yuri says, disregarding her father's question. She was too tired to do this, "we're watching some true crime documentaries tonight since we've finished True Beauty."

      "Will Jungwon be there?" Pipes up Hanuel who looks hopeful.

      "Maybe," Yuri answers, "why?"

      "I miss him," Hanuel mumbles.

      Once again, Yuri is left speechless. Yuri decides to not respond, she has more important things to think about; like if she'll pee her pants tonight while watching true crime documentaries with Sunghoon. Maybe she should convince him to watch Hotel Del Luna or something. Yuri's honestly happy it wasn't a horror movie Sunghoon suggested to watch. But still, watching true crime documentaries makes Yuri feel sick because she's left wondering what she could've done to save those killed.

      The bus ride over was smooth and gentle. It almost lulled Yuri to sleep, but thankfully she was able to stay awake. Yuri greets the boys' manager whose leaving their dorm as Yuri is arriving. Their manager is nice and friendly and doesn't mind Yuri staying the night — which she's done multiple times. It hasn't been too awkward because Sunghoon goes out of his way to not leave Yuri and Jungwon alone. Yuri slips off her shoes and coat and find Sunghoon sitting on the couch like usual. He's talking to Jake and Ni-ki.