1 | talk over seaweed soup

THE MALE HAD just finished painting a very abstract canvas and was now slowly going down the stairs, trying not to get noticed by his family. His family had come over to Seoul for Christmas, but all he wanted was to eat takeout, paint, and sleep - cuddling with his pet in his comfortable bed, not getting bothered by anyone else. Too bad his mother wanted to include him in the festivities.

"Oh son, you're downstairs! Come, your mother and I have been waiting for you for a long time." The father of the male stopped his son and called him to have lunch. The older was sad, as his son was locked up in his room most of the holiday season. His son had called it seasonal depression - something very trendy these days as per the father. But the dad still wished his son of young age should spend time with the family rather than be locked up in the room, just lazying around with that little ball of black fur and eating those extremely unhealthy hamburgers and fries. As per the father, the Holiday season meant spending time with family, sitting near the tree and unpacking gifts and eating healthy delicious food till the trousers were tight, and playing games and laughing till bellies hurt. And when he got to know his son was going through some depression and just wanted to stay in his room unbothered, he was sad. But he understood the need for personal space which, in their family was rather respected quite less.

The male silently groaned, mentally cursing himself for not being discreet enough. "But Appa-"

"It's your birthday today, boy! Cheer up and come have seaweed soup with us," his father insisted the male join them for the supper. It had been three days since the boy had gotten out of his bedroom. He opened his mouth to decline but his father cut him off, "Don't make me scold you on your birthday. You've turned 26! Do you want me to scold you like a kid after you're old enough to have kids?"

"Fine. I have to leave in half an hour anyway," he said, his mouth forming into a pout.

"Taehyung! Happy birthday my son. Come, eat lunch with us!" His mother called him to sit at the kitchen table. Serving everyone some rice, side dishes, and the star for today, seaweed soup, everyone started eating. Taehyung's sister, Taehee was chatting and laughing, while Taehyung had tucked his attention solely on his plate.

He took huge bites of his food, wanting it to be over before his mother would start for the usual conversation again. It was quite irritating honestly, That woman could start that topic out of nowhere, and it was one of the main reasons why Taehyung had been living in his den the whole of December.

"Our Taehyungie has turned 26 this year," his mother stated, "I think-"

Taehyung silently groaned, and cut her off, "Not again, Eomma. I'm in a hurry. I have to go to Incheon right now," he said, finishing the last bits of his soup, getting up in a haste.

"Oppa, what's the rush? I think you should have another serving," Taehee said, adding fuel to the fire. Brat, Taehyung thought, glaring at her.

"Tae, it might sound like I'm nagging you, but please listen to us." His father stated- almost pleaded to him, making him halt. He looked at them with big eyes, expecting it to be over. He was sick of that conversation.

"You've turned 26. We think it's time for you to have a partner. I know, there's this friend of mine who has a daughter. Would you like to meet -"

"Oh, oppa!!!" Taehee squealed, "You're going to get married? Yes! A winter wedding would be so fun," she smirked, looking over at Taehyung, and continued her over-dramatic show.

"Eomma! Stop. I don't want to talk about this. Please."

And I hate winter weddings.

Taehyung wanted to add that as well but it would make his mother think he said yes to the wedding. Which he didn't.

"Why not? You've been avoiding this for the past six months. At least tell us why." His mother was not going to leave him without a proper answer today.

"Eomma-"

"No. I am not letting you go today." His mother crossed her hands, expecting an answer.

Taehyung sighed. He had to lie now. "Fine. It's because I like someone already. Happy? Now I have to leave or I'll be late. And if I am late, Haneul will kill me."

"Haneul is coming back?"

"Yes, eomma. Now let me go if you don't want me to get murdered on my birthday." Taehyung was glad the topic had changed so quickly, and all he wanted was to get out of that darned kitchen.

"Fine. Bring her home, okay? Drive safely."

"I will. I'm taking Tannie with me," Taehyung said, exiting the kitchen. Grabbing his padded jacket and car keys, he shouted, "Yeontan! Come we're going to pick Haneul!"