forty-five

The next morning, I wake up to an annoying sound of shoes restlessly tapping against the hardwood floor. I sat up, eyebrows furrowed and mouth twisted in annoyance. The sense of someone staring at me with a strong gaze burning a hole in the side of my head had me turning the next thing.

"Morning..." I gulped uneasily while my eyes glued on Liam's unmoved figure. Slowly, he rose from the sofa across bedroom and proceeded toward the bed.

"Get up." He voiced.

A cold feeling of unease swept over me at his order. I couldn't move. I didn't know if I should even. He looked terrified.

"I said. Get. Up." He repeated himself once again. This time it immediately caused a deep frown to settle on my face.

Why does he have to talk like that?

He talked like we didn't know each other and I was just one of the employee worked in his multi-billion dollar company. Like I didn't even matter to him one bit and felt free to treat me however he pleased.

A near-inaudible gasp fell out off my lips when Liam reached out with his free hand and yanked me out of bed. In one single swift movement, he caught me by one arm while glancing down and hissing,

"You have five minutes. Get ready and meet me at the door."

So many questions and remarks arose in my head but none of them made it aloud as I quietly watched Liam walking away. When he reached the doorway, he walked pass it and intentionally left the door wide open.

I rested both of my hands on my hips and drew a sigh. What a way to start the day.

_______________

After taking a quick shower, I dried my hair, brushed my teeth and washed my face. Still, I looked dead. Unpresentable. So I decided for whatever plan Liam had prepared for us, I at least wanted to look like I belonged there. So, on that note I took a little time and put on a light make up. I did my hair loosely, pinning them down into a low bun. By the time I made it to the door as instructed, Liam was already looking so displeased than ever.

It seemed no matter what I did or how much I tried to please him, the end-result is always going to be the complete opposite.

"That was eight minutes you took." He grunted, tapping the face of his Rolex watch twice and impatiently before his glance settled on me again.

"Sorry." I mumbled, "I try to be as fast as I could. I didn't know-"

Shrugging his shoulders, Liam cut me off.

"Come."

Trying to put together what was going on, I found myself tracking his firm steps toward the door. Once we made it outside, we walked pass a few robotic guards that were guarding the whole floor. Each and every one of them bowed their head respectfully at Liam. The whole scene looked and felt kind of funny but it wasn't like I didn't see it coming.

However, the last step we took down the staircase and landed on the hard concrete floor of the basement, that was when he lost me.

"Where are we...?" I murmured, shockingly after taking a final look around. I had one simple question I wanted to ask him.

What kind of a normal person had their own shooting range built at home?

"Follow me." Liam said, briefly as he walked us further down the basement. In all of the sudden, a round of gunshots were fired, and unforeseeably my body reacted. It made a conscious move to hurry my step and get myself closer to Liam. My hand took a firm hold of his right arm only to have him looking down at me like I had gone mad. His lips then curled in dissatisfied while his hand unwrapped mine around his bicep. His reaction had me gulping painfully.