Story

Dalia's POV

"Alright. You have to promise me one thing." I said before saying anything.

"Lay it on me." He said not taking his eyes off the road.

"What's said in this car, will not leave it. You will not tell anybody anything I am about to tell you. Ok?"

"I promise." He said. I saw him grin a bit, but i shrugged it off.

"And you have to promise to not think any different of me than you have before." I said quickly.

"Promise." He said again, with a laugh.

"Ok. Boy, where do I start." I thought for a second. "Ok. My parents are bad people. My entire family is evil. My aunt and my mom are both drug addicts, my dads a crazy abusive alcoholic, my uncle is a child predator, and my grandpa is also a little nuts."

I saw him already get nervous. "My dad has hurt me many times, but it was nothing I couldn't handle. Then my uncle, who put himself on me, is in jail for molestation. I said something about it, but nobody believed me. He did it to another girl which was how he got caught. My aunt gave me some of her drugs with put me in the hospital for almost a month."

I took a breath. "But I wasn't completely alone. If you haven't figured out by now, my names not Dee. I hate it. It's a nickname my old friend Riley gave to me years ago that people picked up on to piss me off. My names Dalia and that's all I've ever really gone by. I have two older brothers. One of them was everything everyone wanted. Perfect hair, perfect body, captain of the football team, star quarterback, tons of friends, sweetest girlfriend, great friends. He was everything I ever wanted to have in life."

"Then there was my other older brother... he was more— rough around the edges." I said trying to find the right words. "He was more like my parents. Bad group of friends, known for his playboy reputation, always in fights, and all that stuff."

"I look a lot more like my oldest brother rather than my other brother. Even though I'm still not what anyone would consider attractive. We basically just have the same facial features. My other brother and I look nothing alike. To be honest, it's hard to tell we're even related. But I, sadly, am more like my other brother and not my oldest brother."

"I may not have been in some gang and had bad friends, but I wasn't anything like my oldest brother. I picked fights with people, everyone hated me, and it blew everyone's mind how I could be related to my oldest brother."

"I made a pact with my brother who was rough around the edges that we wouldn't tell anyone we're related unless we absolutely have to."

He stopped me. "Ok. This is my last time interrupting you. But why don't you just tell me their names so you don't have to keep using 'my oldest brother' and 'the other brother?'" He said, confusing himself.

I laughed. "It always blew my mind how my parents can hate their kids so much, but still give them all matching names. I told you my name's Dalia. My oldest brother's name was Dalton." I took a deep breath. "And well... my other brother — who I came down here for — is none other than Dallas Winston."

He slammed on his breaks. "WHAT?" He yelled.

I yelled as I pushed my feet on the dashboard to keep me from flying through the window. "WHY DID YOU SLAM ON YOUR BREAKS?" I snapped.

"YOUR OLDER BROTHER IS DALLAS WINSTON?"

"Oh my Lord..." I mumbled.

"Wait... hold on. Back up. Did you say your oldest brothers name was Dalton?" He asked.

"That was quite the topic change." I mumbled. "And yes, I did." He looked at me for more answers and then continued to drive. "One day I woke up, and he was just gone. My favorite person was gone. The only person who was ever there for me and believed me, was just simply gone."

I sighed. "He had his playoff game that day and when he didn't show up for his morning practice, the coach went ballistic on me and Dallas. He said we had somethin' to do with it. We didn't, but it still pisses me off that he so little as to think we did. But it wasn't just him! Everybody in that damn school called me a murderer. Everyone thinks I had somethin' to do with it, when I didn't. I loved him more than anyone. I needed him more than anything else. I could never get rid of him. He was too strong for me anyway."

"Oh... I'm sorry." Sodapop said.

"Trouble didn't stop there. A year later, Dallas went missing. I was called "murderer of 2" and "psychotic." But again, I had nothing to do with it. A few months later, Dallas actually came back. It shocked me but I felt a bit better. But then he disappeared again. But then he came back! It went on like that for a while and then just a few weeks ago, I decided that this was gonna be the time I was gonna catch him. I was gonna see where he was going. I was gonna find him. I needed someone in my family who wasn't my shitty parents."

I took a breath. "Well, I accidentally fell asleep for an hour and during that hour was when he left. I ran to the train station once I realized Dallas was gone, then I figured out the time he disappeared and I asked what trains left between that time. The only one was Tulsa, Oklahoma. So I went to Nashville and got a train right to Tulsa which was how I ended up here. And well, I guess you know the rest."

"Wow. I'm sorry about all that." Sodapop said, quietly. He pulled over into a parking lot. There were no cars there. "I can't believe Dallas has two other siblings and never said anything."

"Well, we did promise we wouldn't speak of it. He's told me many times he wanted nothing to do with me and I wasn't really a sister to him." I mumbled.

"That sucks. Dallas is a dick anyway." Sodapop said. I could tell he was trying to make me feel better, but it was just too much.

"So I guess, what I'm saying is, the reason I wanna go back to New York, is just because it's all I really have left of my brother. Y'know?"

"Yeah... I get it now." He said.

We were both just sitting there... in the car... in the dark of the night. He looked at me and I looked right back at him.

In just a second, his lips pressed against mine and I kissed him.

Slowly, as he was kissing me, his hand went under my shirt and...