Chapter 24

"Let me get this straight," Thalia said. "You went to Atlantis with Nico—without telling me—then you got attacked, and Lord Poseidon got captured?"

"I think that's all . . . wait. I also got injured."

"Your luck is horrible," Thalia stated.

After talking to Mom and Triton, I departed to Camp Half-Blood early next morning, not before checking in with Nico, who had chosen to stay there for the time being.

After arriving to camp, I promptly went back to sleep until I was woken up by the conch horn. I had a quick breakfast, then met up with Thalia on the beach.

"You don't think I know that?" I asked.

"So what's the plan?" Thalia asked. When I opened my mouth to respond, she added, "I know there's a plan. Don't try to dissuade me into figuring it out." 

"You're not coming with me, but I know how to save my dad," I said, purposely not mentioning any details.

"I surmise that you won't tell me how."

"You're correct."

"Aren't four eyes better than two?" Thalia countered.

"Isn't one person dying better than two?"

"You're not going to die."

She said confidently, as though she knew what the future held.

"I don't know what risks this will entail, but I know that I'm not going to drag you with me."

I looked at the crashing waves, trying to keep my rising emotions at bay. I'm not going to lose another person. 

"You're not dragging me into your mess of a plan, I'm voluntarily coming into your mess of a plan."

I turned away from her. "Well, your offer has been rejected. Try again another time."

"You've got to be kidding me," Thalia muttered. The wind suddenly blew harder, as though it was agreeing with her.

"I wish."

"Why are you doing this? You're only making yourself suffer by keeping to yourself."

"I told you. I don't want you to die."  Even I could tell I was lying.

"Tell me the real reason. Just because Annabeth hurt you doesn't mean I will!"

I gritted my teeth in frustration, trying not to let Annabeth's name affect me. "I. Told. You. Why."

"No, you didn't."

"What do you mean by that?!" I cried out, turning around to face her. "I don't want you to die!"

"I'm not delicate! I can handle myself!"

"I know you can handle yourself!" I shouted.

"Then tell me why! You can't do everything by yourself! If you don't let people help you because you're scared that they're going to die, you might die!" Thalia got up and started pacing around. "It might not sound that bad to you, but think about what would happen to your mom, to Nico. To me. You can't just go on a suicide mission! We've been in the same wars as you, and we're capable enough—"

"Charles was capable enough. Silena was capable enough. Zoe was capable enough. Bianca was capable enough! But guess what? They. All. Died." I let out a bitter laugh. "And it was all my fault."

I could see Thalia's anger disappearing, and her face softened. "Percy. I've told you multiple times. It's not your fault. They chose to sacrifice themselves."

"For something I could've saved them from," I whispered, unshed tears pooling in my eyes. "That's not the point. They all died, and I barely kept it together. If you die . . . my soul would die as well." 

Thalia knelt down and hugged me, comforting me. I let my tears out, falling silently down my face. "And if you die, my  soul would die too."

"I'll try not to. Just please, for me, stay here."

There was a pause before she responded. "Okay. For you. But if you die, I'll come to the Underworld and smack you so hard that you'll fly back to Camp. And don't think that's an empty threat. I'll call Nico."

I laughed sadly into her hair. "Thank you. You don't know how much this means to me. "

Thalia's grip on me tightened. "Oh no. How much did Annabeth affect you?"

I fought to contain my sobs. "Too much. She was my everything. And now . . . she isn't!" I broke into sobs, tears now freely falling down my face. "Why does everything happen to me? I just wanted to love somebody. I just wanted to have a good life. I just wanted happiness. But I don't have anything!"

Thalia just comforted me without saying anything, knowing what I needed. I was now a puddle of sadness, sobbing openly without any control. Finally, after about ten minutes I was able to control myself to only silent tears.

"When are you going?" Thalia asked after I wiped my tears.

"Probably in a few minutes. All I need is some armor—"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Thalia said, putting her hands up. "Right after your mental breakdown?"

I glared half-heartedly at her. "It wasn't a mental breakdown." When she raised her eyebrow, I simply said, "Yes."

Thalia sighed. "You're not making this easy on me, are you?" 

"What do you mean?"

Thalia ran her hand through her hair. "It almost feels like you don't care about dying. It seems as though I'm the one worrying."

"That's not true," I retorted weakly. Okay, maybe I was going on a suicide mission, and maybe I wasn't disturbed about dying, but that didn't mean I was going to sacrifice my life for nothing.

Thalia raised her eyebrow again.

I groaned. "Will you please stop doing that?"

"Fine." Then she promptly threw a handful of sand at my face and ran away, towards the other end of the beach, laughing.

Taken by surprise, I started coughing, then stumbled to my feet and chased after her. "Get back here!"

Thalia exactly knew how to distract me.