forty six | more

I walk through the entrance of my university. I've been falling behind and missing deadlines of assignments. My marks have dropped significantly.

One of the many problems on my list that I am working to solve—or ignore until it goes away.

The university is filled with students of all kinds. From kids who are hidden behind their hair, hoping to get by without being seen, to the happy freaks who actually want to be here and make friends.

Alright, to be fair, I do want to be here. Just not like this. In fact, I would kill for this degree. Literally.

As I head towards my lecture hall, which is at the far end of the building, I drag my feet along the floor. My legs burn from the intense workout I had early this morning.

I'm going to need all of the strength I can get if I want to go against Antonio. And not get screws twisted into my back, this time.

But being strong hurts. I could barely lift my bag onto my shoulder after gym.

A smile stretches across my face, mimicking Elijah's. He stands with his back against the wall. Except his smile isn't for me.

Who is it for?

Not that I care.

"Yeah, I'll see you soon. I'll do everything I can to see that beautiful face."

I stop beside him. He sends me a curt nod before focusing back on whoever is on the other end of the call.

"Come on. You know I'll do anything for you. What is it?" He chuckles, listening to the response on the other end. "Yes, yes. I'll bring lots of chocolate donuts for you."

Who is he buying donuts f—No, I don't care. I shake my thoughts away. He can talk to other girls.

There's nothing that he can do that will disappoint me more than I have disappointed him; he just doesn't know it. And ideally it'll stay that way.

"Another one?" He gasps animatedly. Nodding, he says, "Alright, I will. I promise." He blows kisses into the phone. "I love you. I love you. I love you soooooo much."

Huh?

He blows more kisses. There's a huge smile on his face. "Bye-bye, Kelia."

Oh, his sister.

He ends the call and turns to me, leaning his shoulder against the wall. He pulls me closer by my wrist, so that out bodies are centimetres apart. "Hi."

"Hi." My smile returns, as well as a strange feeling in my heart. It's as if it is swelling up to twice it's usual size.

Just friends.

As much as I now admittedly wish it was more, I know that's not possible. If he ever found out the truth it would crush him. But if I give him my heart, it'll crush me too.

His eyes trail down to my neck and he leans in. "Damn, Bree, you smell good." It's clear by the look in his eyes that he wants to get closer, but decides against it.

"Thanks," I whisper, trying to avoid his gaze. "How's your sister?"

Family; a good way to remove any sexual tension.

He leans back. "She's . . . been better. I think she's feeling lonely, but she won't admit it. My parents have her home schooled, and blame it on me because I can't afford to send more money to them for a private school." He runs a hand over his face. "And she just told me that she hasn't even seen my parents in months. Apparently they dumped her with some babysitter and left to go on a vacation—with the same money they could be using to give her a better education." His hands ball into fists.

I run my hand up and down his arm. "So, what are you going to do?" I've learnt the best thing to do when someone is angry and venting is to just be there, without judgement or unsolicited advice.

He takes in a deep breath and closes his eyes. "I don't know. They took her away from me, only to ditch her in another city. She deserves so much better."

Students begin to flock into the lecture hall. "We should go," I say.

Elijah glances back at the door. "Yeah." He turns back to me. Grabbing my waist, he tugs me directly against him.

"Elijah!" My eyes go wide. The speed of my heartbeat increases. "W-What are you doing?"

"Making sure everyone knows you're mine."

"I'm not."

He glances over at two guys who are looking our way. "They don't know that." He gently presses a kiss on my forehead.

I can't find the will to push away. In fact, I want more. "Stop."

He grins. "Why? Is it affecting you?" He places a kiss on my nose.

"No."

He tilts my chin up with his bent index finger. His lips draw closer to mine. "Are you sure?"

No. The space between 'boy friend' is starting to shrink. My fists grab onto his shirt.

The gesture seems to pleasantly surprise him. He drags his teeth over his bottom lip, turning them a darker shade of pink. "Answer my question."

I shake my head. "I can't."

He grips my shoulders with his hands and presses my back against the wall. His body comes in front of me. "Answer me, or I'm going to kiss you right here." His thumb brushes over my lips.

My hands go up to his chest. I try to push him away, but my arms are so limp from my workout that they have no power. "We should get to class."

His breathing becomes the only thing I can hear; his heartbeat, the only thing I can feel; his eyes, the only thing I can see.

"Meet me after class. We need to talk."

•<•>•

Guess who's back? Back again.

Thank you to everyone who voted on my message board. I decided to start updating Hit List first, then Dante and then Cage (because someone suggested that I update based on which book is closest to its end and that was a great suggestion).

Although the end is still quite far and I'm sooooo excited for what I have planned. Get ready for some drama and possibly even some smutiness mwahahah (you guys are not ready for what's coming).

I'm not ready either but I'm EXCITED.

KLOVEYOUBYE.

T w i t t e r : xPineappleGirlx
I n s t a g r a m : laylaawrites
Y o u t u b e : xThePineappleGirlx

Lots of love and jelly tots - xThePineappleGirlx