Ch 14. Halloween 🎃 👻

"So Stefan finally found Vicki?" Caroline wondered, gnawing on the curly fries she'd just ordered while scanning the grill for anyone eavesdropping

"So Stefan finally found Vicki?" Caroline wondered, gnawing on the curly fries she'd just ordered while scanning the grill for anyone eavesdropping. They came in for a quick bite before they left for the tomb. It was more like she was here for a quick snack. Damon just tagged along, having no choice but to give in to her demands.

"Yes, well, I did hear Stefan's pathetic attempt at teaching her how to hunt bunnies this morning," Damon said, sipping his drink. "She didn't seem to have gotten that far from the house."

"What was she trying to get away from?"

"I think she just needed a break from Stefan." And I can't say I blame her. Nobody wants to listen to Stefan's rant about "how to become a bunny killer 101."

"Speaking of bunnies, how is it different from human blood?" Caroline finally posed the question that had been bugging her since as soon as he had mentioned it a while back.

"Animal blood is insignificant in comparison to human blood." It's not even 10% as beneficial."

"Why? I mean, why is animal blood not as effective?" she asked.

As he stole a few fries from Caroline's plate, he explained, "Animal blood does not provide the same level of nourishment to vampires as human blood does, and vampires who drink animal blood have decreased strength, decreased speed, decreased healing abilities, and a lower tolerance to pain as compared to vampires who feed on human blood."

Caroline uttered, "Oh, I never knew that," before swatting his wandering hands away from her fries once more. "With so many downsides, why does Stefan choose to drink it?"

"Because animal blood is unappealing, physically unsatisfying, and not conducive to maintaining vampiric powers at their peak, most vampires will not even consider drinking it unless they have no other choice," Damon replied grumpily. "Because we feed on blood, we need to be fed on a regular basis, and we can't live without it, and we won't be able to live forever on animal blood."

"What do you mean by out of control?" she asked but received no immediate answer. The waitress suddenly appeared at their table, this time bringing their order and urging them to dig in. "What do you mean by out of control, Damon?" she asked again before sipping her milkshake as soon as the waitress was out of hearing range.

Taking a quick slurp of his drink, he exclaimed, "It means he goes into full killer mode." Human blood is like a drug to him."

"Oh wow, that's a lot to take in," Caroline exhaled deeply before murmuring, "So he's like a more messed up Jasper?"

Damon rolled his eyes at her ability to bring up Twilight in every situation. And, yes, he has already seen the film, which he loathes, by the way. Caroline had made him watch it as a form of punishment for laying in her bed with his shoes on and bloodstaining her favorite blanket. And he despised every second of it.

"I guess I'd have to avoid getting paper cuts in front of him, huh?" Caroline chuckled before exclaiming, "OMG, is that why he looked so constipated when the guy next to him had a nosebleed in class?"