C h a p t e r 64

Chapter 64 : XavierMonday, August 23rd, 2021

Chapter 64 : Xavier
Monday, August 23rd, 2021

"So, how are things going with the project?" Vincent asks me, and the smug look on his features makes me want to punch his face in.

I have done a damn good job of making sure that's all my father believes Madelyn to be. A project.

To him, she was nothing to me—nothing more than a disposable pawn to exploit and then end when her death deems itself fit.

I hated this game I was playing, but it was one of the very few things I didn't have a choice in.

Until my father is buried six feet under, everything would be a game with him.

It's up to me to be the better player.

"She's playing right into our cards like we planned." I lied, plastering on a cruel smile as though this conversation was nothing more than entertainment for the evening.

What Vincent didn't see was the way my fists had balled beneath the table in my lap, my nails digging so hard into my palms I could tell blood had been drawn.

I was too numb to feel it, though.

I forced myself into a state of nothing, because the alternative is snapping. If I kill my father now, I will only be unlocking a bottomless chest of more complications, ones in which I cannot afford.

"Well of course she is." My father chuckles, plopping a grape into his mouth and grinning at how easy I was making this for him, "She may have a sharp tongue, but that doesn't sway from the fact she's still a brainless whore."

Do. Not. React.

Xavier, do not fucking react.

I urged myself to think about the brightness of her smile, the green of her eyes, and the sound of her laugh. I went back to our memories of last night and how I think I needed to be held by her too afterwards.

Through my unwavering facade of cruelty, I let myself be consumed by the way her soft hands felt pressed against my chest and her lips against my mouth.

She was what grounded me, and I just needed to hold onto that for a little bit longer.

Madelyn would be back soon, and everything would be okay.

"As much as your presence is welcomed, I'm sure there's more reason for it than stating obvious facts." I prod, taking a long, slow sip of the whiskey filling my glass and savoring the smooth glide of it down my throat.

Vincent's answering smile made my blood run cold, not liking the satisfied look on his face.

"Of course." He says, tilting his head and swishing the dark colour of his own drink twice before placing it down excitedly.