The Third Letter

Avery's POV

I stare wide eye at the guy in front of me who claims that he is my best friend I write to. My heart is jackhammering in my chest and my palms start to sweat.

"Th-theo?" I ask, pointing at him with a look of disbelief painted on my face. He nods, staring at me like I might faint.

"Theo? Theo James?" I ask.

"Yeah. That's my name, don't wear it out." He answers. Suddenly it sinks in that the my best friend is standing right in front of me. A huge smile spreads on my face and I spring toward.

"Theo!" I gush, throwing my arms around him. He jumps at my sudden movements and stiffens like a board in my arms.

"Took you long enough!" Theo says grinning sheepishly down at me. I smile up at him and give him a quick squeeze and give him space. He hesitantly raises a tattooed hand and pats my head.

"It is nice to meet you Avery Parker." Theo says, soothingly patting my head. I smile at his words.

"Nice to meet you too Theo James." I answer, making him grin down at me, pulling his hand away.

"When did you get here? How did you get here? When did get out? Wait! Did you escape?! Is that why you didn't answer-" I start but Theo cuts me off.

"Woah, woah, woah. Take it easy, Parker. Funny, you don't seem to talk so much in your letters." Theo snorts. I feel my cheeks flush pink with embarrassment, feeling self conscious.

"Oh... sorry..." I mumble sheepishly.

"I'll explain, don't you worry your pretty little head." Theo says. I reach out and make sure to shut the door so that Mama doesn't hear. I gesture to the swinging bench on our porch. Theo lowers his duffle onto the floor and sits besides me on the swing. Theo uses his heels to rock us back and forth gently.

"I had an appeal, and the evidence and witnesses were reviewed. And I was cleared. I'm free to go." Theo states proudly.

"Really? That's amazing! Congratulations!" I beam. Theo smiles at me making my heart soar. He looks less scary when he smiles.

"I'm a freeman, I got a whole future ahead me." Theo says, a content and satisfied grin on his face. I feel my stomach churn with excitement and joy. I knew Theo was innocent! I always knew! And finally, the rest of the world knows too.

"So I strolled right out, it felt amazing. And what I had to turn back to wasn't looking good so I headed west to the one good thing in my life." Theo says and warm emotions wash over me. I smile and reached out for his hand.

"You came all the way out here to meet me?" I ask, smiling up at him.

"Yeah, yeah, I did." He answers. "I just got fresh off the bus. It was a long, painful ride. Then walked the fifteen miles over here and found myself on your doorstep." Theo states.

"You walked fifteen miles?! In the Louisiana heat?!" I ask worriedly. "Come on, let's get you rested up and some food in you. Where are you stayin'?" I ask. He tenses up at my question, making me worry.

"Nowhere. I wasn't thinking things through when I buying that bus ticket. I was just holding a bundles of letters from the kindest, most honest and sweetest person I've ever meet in my hands. I had to meet you." Theo states.

"... You don't know what it was like in there. At times it felt like hell itself... but you gave me hope." He finishes and I feel happy tears pool in my hazel eyes.

"Now I just need to get my shit together." He says, his hand absentmindedly raising up, his hand whipping away a tear before it falls.

"Is there a homeless shelter nearby?" He asks, scratching the back of his neck.

"Hopefully in walking distance so you and I get to know each other." He adds.

"No, you're stayin' right here. There is a spare room up in the barn." I state.

"No! I don't want pity or handouts. I want to get on my feet by myself." He states firmly. My face falls at his words and puff headily.

"The thing about southern hospitality is it is very rude to decline it. Now follow me." I state, standing to my feet.

"Avery, don't be stubbor-" He starts but I pluck up his duffle bag from the ground and walk off. I hear him sigh and his footsteps follow after me.