Chapter 7

Tension coiled and tightened in my stomach in the middle of the night. I tore the sheets away from my body and forced myself away from the nightmare. As soon as my eyes clicked open, I remembered nothing but felt a sharp pain spreading through my abdomen. Slapping a hand over my mouth, I silenced my scream and forced myself off the bed.

What was happening?

The pain continued for minutes while I walked around in circles. It was the bite. I reached my dresser and the bandaid on my waist became undone. My skin around the wound was slicked with sweat even when it was freezing cold inside the house.

"Shit." I cried as my eyes fell upon the wound that had been infected.

Panting for breath, I tore away the rest of the bandaid and threw it aside. Right before falling asleep, I changed the dressing and I was assured the wound was healing. However, after waking up, it had gotten worst. The holes in my flesh from the wolf biting into it were bleeding again and there was a disgusting red mark surrounded by it.

I grabbed clean cotton pads and dipped them into alcohol before cleaning up the bite once again. Instead of covering just my waist with the dressing, I wrapped my whole stomach and sealed it tight before putting my shirt back on.

Why wasn't I healing?

My ears perked at the howl outside of my house. I quickly sprinted to the window and pushed aside the curtains before taking a glance at my surroundings. It was the middle of the night and it was raining heavily when my eyes landed on the same beautiful, massive wolf that had bitten me earlier. A gasp forced itself out of me in fear.

I stared into the wolf's eyes that stood nearby the house. He didn't move nor made another sound. What did he want? My brows furrowed and I closed the curtains out of fear. Did he want to bite me again?

I sprinted to the door of my room and locked it as well along with the windows. It was a terrible mistake to visit the cemetery that night.

But how could the wolf follow me to my house?

Something didn't seem right. Suddenly, I was alert about everything in my life. A lot of things didn't make sense. A wolf couldn't just show at my doorstep, right in the middle of the town when the forest was miles away from here.

My heartbeat quickly and I chewed on my dry lips while pacing around my room and wondering what was wrong. A few minutes passed and I decided to check the windows again. I drew aside one of the curtains and the wolf was no longer there on the wet roads across my house.

I sighed out of relief and pressed my head against the cold window.

What was happening with me?

Something was changing inside me and I couldn't understand what it was. I was overwhelmed with emotions and confused ever since the night at the cemetery.

The next few days went by in a blur. I lost track of time and even when I did nothing, I found the days passing by. The bite worsened. It turned into an infection and drove me straight to the bed. I barely moved from it and when I did, it would the midst of the night where I would peek outside my curtains again and find the wolf waiting for me to come out so he could attack me again.

It repeated for three days straight before Aunt Carol came and forced me into a hospital.

"A wolf bit you?" She screamed at the top of her lungs after the doctor spilled the truth to her. It had been only a minute. "Why didn't you tell me, Eos? I was concerned all along. How did this even happen?" Worry flashed over her face like never and she rubbed her forehead while sitting down beside me.