Chapter 9

Sidharth enters the room and finds Sukhbinder Suri.
"Hello Sir! Is everything alright? You both look serious."
Sukhbinder smiles, "Sidharth, please sit here. I need to talk to you."
Sidharth sits and says, "Sir, If you are here to give the cheque to Ma, then please don't do it."

Sukhbinder says, "No. I am not here for that. I have another request for you."
Sidharth looks at him confused, "Request?"
Sukhbinder takes a pause, looks at him and says,"Sidharth, will you marry my daughter?"

Sidharth couldn't believe his ears, he asked, "What did you say?"
Sukhbinder and Sumitra look at each other and then turning towards him, he says,"Sidharth, I want Sana married and settled. And I can't find anyone better for her than you. You both were friends and you are such a good boy.."
Sidharth stands up, "Please stop it right there. This is not happening, never. Ma, why are you not saying anything?"
"Sid, you listen to bhai sahab once. Then you decide what you want."

Sidharth stares at her, "Ma, first of all I am not ready for marriage. You that very well. And secondly marrying Shehnaaz is just impossible."
"Sid, I know but.. "
Sidharth cuts her short, "Ma, you really believe this can be possible? Look at us and look at them. Shehnaaz is not the Sana you knew. And we are no longer the Sehgals we were. There's no match here. It's not possible."
Turning towards Sukhbinder, "Sir, I really respect you but this is just impossible. I can't marry anyone now and Shehnaaz, no way."

Sumitra gets up, "Sidharth, sit down and talk calmly. I am getting you some water. Just stay calm."
She goes inside and Sukhbinder says, "Sidharth, what is wrong in this? Only you can handle her well. I have seen you do that not once but multiple times. Even on the night of Diwali, you took care of her so well. She listened to you. You can change her. "
"You are asking me this question, in spite of knowing your daughter so well. No one can handle her. That night she was drunk but the way she behaves when she is in her senses is just too much. I don't think anyone can change her."

He runs his fingers through his hair,
"Your rich daughter has only hatred for the poor. I am a simple middle class guy, working two jobs, driving taxis and doing freelancing to support my family. We can never be a match. And about being friends, we were but that was a long time back. Today she is Miss. Suri and I am the Driver. And moreover she has an as***** rich boyfriend. Pardon my language but I feel these reasons are enough to say no to whatever you are planning."

Sukhbinder nods his head, "I know about her boyfriend..And I want her away from him because I know how useless he is. You on the other hand are such a hard-working person. I have immense respect and love for you. I know you can change her for the good. You both are the right match. Trust me. Don't think about money and status. I am with you."

Sidharth smiles, "Oh! So everything was a part of your plan then. You wanted to buy me with the blank cheque. You felt I needed money so I will agree to babysit your egoistic daughter. Mr. Suri, neither I want your money, nor I want to handle your spoiled daughter."
"No beta, I just wanted to help. I didn't think like that ever. I want you to marry her, only because I know you can't be bought. I know you are a real gem."

Sidharth is angry by now, "Stop it now. Aap logon ne mujhe kya samajh ke kya rakha hai? We are poor so we don't have any respect. Isn't it? Aap ki beti mujhe driver bulayegi,mujhe insult karegi aur aap mujhe cheque de kar apni usi beti se shadi karne ko kahenge. No. It is not happening."
He closes his eyes trying to remove the image of Sana kissing Sameer.
Taking a deep breath, he says,"Please Sir, I am sorry if I behaved badly with you. But it is not possible for me to even think about standing with her under one roof, forget marriage. I am not marrying her, not now, not ever."
He rushes inside saying that.

Sumitra comes into the room sometime later and finds him pacing up and down the room.
"Sidu!"
He rushes towards her, "Why Ma? Why do those rich people have the freedom to play with our feelings? Why are we considered a puppet in their hands? Why did you allow him to speak all that?"