Chapter 54

"Jalal, how are you feeling?" Abdul stepped into Jalal's chamber. The latter sat leaning against the back of his bed, brooding dully. He had came to know that the Raja had left in a hurry a day after his departure. Jodha had certainly told him nothing about her tryst with Sharif ud-Din! She has a reputation to lose, he thought sarcastically. But then why the Raja left in a hurry? At the thought of Jodha a sharp pain ran through his chest. He ignored it. He had released Maan Singh. Then why had they left in a hurry? It made no sense. The assassination attack! Who was behind it? More and more he was convinced that someone was trying to put the blame on the Rajputs.

"How should I feel!" he snapped angrily. "I'm condemned to rest here until my wounds heal!"

"Don't be angry! Tell me how you got your wounds!"

"Fighting a cheetah!" he growled.

"Can you go into a little more detail? Why did you ride off by yourself? Why do you keep putting yourself in such dangerous situations? I didn't believe a word they said about leaving Agra for urgent political matters!"

Jalal sighed. "You just know me too well! I had to get out of here! The assassination attempt on me, the betrayal of the Rajkumari." He literally spat out the last word. "I never thought she would be so shameless!"

"Jalal, maybe it's not what it seems!" interjected Abdul cautiously.

"Abdul bas! Bas! Not another word about it! She has shown her true colors!"

"Jo hukum, Jalal!" Abdul raised his hands placatingly. He was getting nowhere like this.
"So, the cheetah! How did it come about?" he quickly changed the subject.

"I had to get my anger under control. The cheetah was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Let's talk about something else! What is being said about the assassination attack at the fort? I want to know everything, every little detail!" he said grimly.

"People have doubts about your decision to release Maan Singh. They are not convinced of his innocence even though I have exonerated him. They believe that the Rajputs are the masterminds behind the attack!"

"Who is spreading such nonsense? Since the lad was at the archery with you, it couldn't have been him! Something is not right here! I fear someone is deliberately trying to pin the blame on the Rajputs! But why?"

"Jalal, something is going on in Agra! I have the same assumptions as you! The question is, who is behind it and why!"

"Has the Raja been antagonized here? Is that why he left so quickly? Have you heard anything rumours? Atgah Khan did not report anything to me!"

"It's possible, he ...!" Abdul broke off. He thought of his conversation with Fadhil. Jalal would not let anything come over his badi ammi. He couldn't possibly accuse them of treason until he had airtight proof. Quickly he deflected!

"Jalal, do you still have the letter from the Rajkumari?"

"Ji, why are you bringing it up again?" he asked annoyed.

"May I read it?"

"I don't know why you want to read her shameless ramblings, but please... I should have burned it long ago! You'll find it over there in the chest. It's on top." He pointed to a small chest in the corner. Again a sharp pain drove into his chest. But it did not come from his injuries! It was immediately covered by flaring anger. Abdul opened the chest and took out the top scroll. He skimmed the lines. It was the right one! He quickly reached for the next scroll. He had recognized the broken seal of the Rajkumari! He rolled up both letters and hid them in his sash.

"Did you edify yourself on the fair words of the Rajkumari?" Jalal asked him in a voice dripping with scorn.

"Mh-mh! Wicked, shameless words! And Sharif ud-Din of all people! I just wanted to read it with my own eyes, how shameless she is! I couldn't believe it!" Never were these the words of the Rajkumari! He was sure! But he had what he wanted!