45

Trilochan had been strictly instructed by Aniruddh to stay away from Bondita but he could not just sit back and watch his kids go about it. They knew nothing about caring for a pregnant woman. Aniruddh would need his help. He needed to be ready for it. He had asked Koyeli to make special ladoo. Asked Bihari to restock all the achar. Roshogulla had to be a parmanent presence in the home.

He knew he had made his children upset but they would understand him later. Till then he would take care of his Bahu. No matter what was happening, he loved his children.
He saw Bondita go to kitchen. He secretly followed her. He had not seen her once since she came back from the hospital.

Bondita had felt hungry. For the first time in a long while she herself wanted to eat something. No...not wanting to devour everything in her path hungry but she could have a light breakfast today. She had been getting ready in front of her dressing table when she caught her own reflection in the mirror. The words she said to him came back to her. Talking to him really made her feel better. She sat on the stool there looking at her self. How did he always know what to do ? How to make her feel better ? Her words ran in her mind again. How she said she would leave him if it meant protecting her self respect. She had meant it when she had given the lecture to Tupur and she meant what she said yesterday. No one , wife or husband, should compromise so much that their own self is damaged. Not tolerate unfairness.
But he was no ordinary husband. How many times had she seen him bend over backwards for her. Losing his self respect, his own value in his own eyes. Not caring about himself, principles, values, family or world. He hurt himself to comfort her. And she would do the same for him in a heart beat.
She had learnt her lesson for life but that didn't mean she would actually go up with it. He never left her and she could never leave him.

Theirs was a relation better than that. Stronger.

She just hoped he understood what she said and felt the words that didn't come out of her lips. Hoped he didn't think she could ever leave him. Now that she was feeling better and analysed the conversation, she really hoped her words had not created a confusion about his importance in her life.

He was the most important person of her life. Like she said yesterday...she had no one else.

Bondita made her way to the kitchen to prepare breakfast. She had still not forgotten the deep mess she was in. But a breakfast with her Pati Babu would make her feel better. She put milk on stove for the coffee but it was difficult to even stand near the boiling milk. She didn't know why she felt nauseated by it now. It never used to happen before but it had been getting difficult for her to make that coffee for him everyday. She somehow managed and asked Bihari to take the cup to the table.

When Aniruddh came to the table he was surprised to see Bondita coming with a tray in her hands.

" Bondita you need to rest. " Aniruddh said to Bondita.

" That is what I said !" His Kaka interjected. He had seen Bondita make an odd face while making coffee. He had just followed her to see if she was alright. She was his ladli bahu. She had taken out a roshogulla or two from the handi and eaten them before heading out making him laugh. He had went away after seeing she was ok.

Aniruddh ignored his Kaka's attempt at conversation. Batuk came to the table in school uniform reminding him that Bondita was missing another day of the school. And he wanted her to. She needed rest and another appointment with the doctor for her to finally tell her problems. If he said she was fit only then would she be going to school. Nothing came before her health.

Bondita sat beside him with a plate which he filled for her.

" That's it Pati Babu...! Don't serve more...!"