Chapter 29

I cleared the last of the glass on the floor into the garbage bag before going to my riding lesson. It was a simple tutorial from a kind older man named Thomas, and I learned how to groom, saddle, and lead a horse. My trainer horse was named Nike, a beautiful roan horse.

It was beginning to darken when I retreated inside for dinner, and over the crowd of people I could spot Lilly's flaming red hair. I wove through the crowd to get to her, and when I approached her, she widened a grin on her face.

"Well, if it isn't the unicorn!" She smiled before pulling me into a hug. "Are you feeling better?"

"Very," I lied. we took our usual seats, mine next to Marlee. I had to stop myself from making eye contact with Aaron after our encounter earlier today, and even Marlee noticed.

"What's wrong?" She asked subtly under the chatter around us.

"I do not know what you are talking about," I denied. "I am feeling a lot better."

"Like hell if you are," she said before rolling her eyes. "I meant what was wrong between you and Aaron."

I sighed. "We're not in a good place right now. I'd prefer not to talk about it at the dinner table."

"Maybe not at the dinner table, but later. Please?"

"Okay," I promised grudgingly.

I sat my fork down to excuse myself, and I noticed my bare wrist. I had a bracelet on earlier today, and I remembered setting it down when I began my lesson. I rose from my seat at the dinner table nonchalantly and made my way through the hallways to the stables.

I went to where I had last thought I laid it down. When I saw it wasn't there, I looked near the saddle posts. I ran my fingers through my hair, and I heard a voice behind me. It had startled me, but I quickly recovered.

"'Scuse me, ma'am, but are you looking for this?" My instructor, Thomas, inquired.

"Yes, sir. Where was it, might I ask?"

"Oh, it was over there by them stables," he said with a vague gesture of his tanned hands. His voice had a deep southern drawl, probably down near South Lake or Carolina.

"Thank you," I said before taking the thin band from him. "How often do we have lessons?"

"'Bout every day, I'm guessing. Is that ok with you? I'd like to see you up there on that saddle by yourself pretty soon."

"That's fine with me, sir," I replied.

"Oh please, call me Tom. All my friends back in Carolina call me that," he chuckled heartily.

"Alright then, Tom," I laughed. "Thank you for the bracelet, too."

"'Ny time," he smiled before walking out of the barn and into the darkness. I turned and walked slowly to the closure where I had put Nike. I opened the rusty latch and let myself in.

"Hey boy," I cooed while allowing him to sniff my hand. He put his nose in my hand approvingly, and I began to stroke his mane. I stayed with him for a while, petting his spotted flank. I eventually pulled myself away to go back to the palace.

He bickered in disappointment as I flipped the latch again. "I'll be back tomorrow; I promise." He lowered his head and laid down in a spot of hay in the corner. I smiled before leaving his stall.

A few more paces down was Midna, with her silken black mane and short black hair covering her muscular body. Midna was very well taken care of and extremely young, while Nike was an older and gentler horse. I peeked around the corners and saw no one, so I let myself into Midna's stall.

"Midna, do you remember me?" I whispered as I placed my hand in front of her nose. She whinnied playfully, so I took that as a sign of encouragement. I ran my hands over her smooth body, allowing them to feel her soft hair.

I heard faint traces of giggling, and I froze at the sound. Midna noticed my discomfort, for she began to shuffle nervously. I struck her mane soothingly before lifting the stall latch very quietly, closing the door softly behind me.

I peered around the corner to see Aaron and Kiara prancing down the walkway. I waited by the corner, out of visibility. I could hear Aaron's soft murmurs, and Kiara would laugh and giggle at something he said.

"Aaron, what are we doing here?" She asked curiously.

"It's quiet and private. I hate how people watch everything I do, and I want our moments to be private."

"That's really sweet," she swooned. I peeked through a hole in the dilapidated wood to see their faces growing closer, and I tore my eyes away as quickly as possible.

I fought the tears I knew were building in my eyes, and I tore off my pumps as quickly as I could and broke into a run. There was only one exit in the stables, and I didn't want them to see me, so I ran out through the pathway into a pasture with a gate.

I put my foot on each row of the old gate and swung each leg over. I landed ungracefully on the grass, hurting my once-injured ankle. I ran back into the castle, careful not to make eye contact with anyone.

I found myself in the music room unintentionally, but it felt so natural in here that my heart led me here. I looked in a sideway mirror to see myself with tearstained cheeks, messy hair, and makeup that looked as if it had been worn for several days. I wiped at the shiny streaks and ran my fingers through my hair, getting out large tangles.

I eventually gave up and sat at the piano. My fingers laid lightly on the white material before playing the melody in my heart. I loved the pre-World-War-Three era for music, especially since it was one of the last eras of music that used traditional music instead of computerized ones. Most of the rest of the music was destroyed during WW||| and the American war.

The music ended after my final thoughts were sung out loud, and as the echo cleared, it distantly resembled the way my heart felt. It was so full of emotion and possibly love and affection, but after its song ends it is left with an emptiness that can't be filled or expressed.

The silence overtook my heart's song.