Chapter 67 - The Dragon Descends

"Y-You... bastard, wake up." Yi Ran found her world spinning. She pressed onto the demon's headless body, and scratched his cold skin. "Hurry up. We... we still have work to do..."

The demon did not wake up.

Yi Ran shook his decapitated body some more.

"What kind of joke is this..." Her smile had gradually faded away, like a wind dancing into the never ending void of darkness. Yi Ran's face paled, as her mouth twitched. She just sat there, poking at the demon's body.

The Boss and Nu Wang looked at her.

Yi Ran sat in silence.

Slowly, the realization began to pour into her. Colour was drained of her small body, and her hair swayed back and forth to the current of winds. "Bo Fan is dead." Coldness became solid, with frost seeping into her eyes, full of hatred. Yi Ran whipped her head at the Boss.

"Why did you kill him?" Her voice was exasperated.

Yi Ran felt like she was going to go crazy. "You promised us that you'd never kill us! You promised that we'll be safe underneath you! If we serve you... if we are your puppets..."

"You also promised me that... YOU PROMISED ME THAT YOU'D BRING AH-SHA BACK TO LIFE!" Yi Ran pulled at the ends of her hair. "Was that a lie too? You were never planning to bring Ah-Sha back to life, were you? In the beginning, you lied to me... You were just using us to get power from the ancient dragon... you're a liar, you're a liar, you're a liar, you're a liar, you're a liar, you're a liar, you're a liar, you're a liar, liar, liar, liar, liar, liar, liar, liar, liar, LIAR, LIAR, LIAR, LIAR, LIAR, LIAR!!!"

The Boss remained indifferent to her screams.

His robe was blocking the racing winds, and was like a block of unmoving ice. "Now that you know my motives, does it make a difference?"

The layer of black mist looming over the Boss' face had grown in size. It condensed, and roared wildly like an uncontrollable beast. "You will still die."

Yi Ran's face paled. She clutched at her head.

The jade bracelet hung around her wrist—it was the bracelet which Ping Sha had gifted her when they were young. It turned out to be merely an abuse of her feelings, but it was also what made her want to bring Ping Sha back to life.

The Boss didn't blink.

He unsheathed his sword, brought it up above, then slammed it down onto Yi Ran's neck. The Boss watched, as blood spilled out shockingly—

"What?" Suddenly, he raised his head.

The spillage of blood had vanished like a mist, as if there'd never been blood. The Boss frowned, and he noticed how Yi Ran went missing. He gnashed his teeth, and noticed a certain "female ghost" had also gone missing. The sound of pipa strings had lingered in the air.

"That Nu Wang..." The Boss understood. Nu Wang had prepared an illusion beforehand, and saved Yi Ran from dying in his clutches.

"But," the Boss laughed. He turned to look at the dead demon, "You were too late."

The ancient dragon will be mine.

*****

Nu Wang raced past the winds, as she carried the unconscious body of Yi Ran on her back. She grimaced, as she swallowed a handful of cold air.

I need to find help, Nu Wang knew that.

But... who could she possibly find?