Chapter Thirty-Eight

Daphne sits on the floor of Alaric's apartment, the photos from the cave spread out around her. A pile of post-it notes in her hand, she taps her quill against it as she thinks. Staring down at the notes she's already made. The post-it notes are already stuck to photos. One for vampire. One for werewolf. But she's stuck. She's tired. She's hungry. Likely dehydrated. Her mind is running on fumes. Alaric sits in his desk chair, legs up on the table as he goes through Daphne's notes. The apartment door opens and Elena lets herself in, carrying a takeaway bag of food.

"How's it going?" Elena asks when she reaches Alaric's desk. He looks at her.

"She tidied up my apartment" Alaric points out. Elena smirks a little.

"It helps her think sometimes" She offers as they watch Daphne mumbling to herself, thinking about something, trying to work out something.. "She must be stuck on something"

"It's been a while since she made a note" Alaric agrees and drops his feet. "Is that...?"

"Lunch" Elena sets the takeaway bag down. "Daph, text me..." Daphne goes to push herself up to her feet but she stumbles, a wave of dizziness and nausea rushing through her. "When was the last time you ate?" Elena asks Daphne who crouches, taking deep breaths to ward off her nausea.

"I don't know" Daphne whispers as Elena moves closer to her.

"Then come and eat...you might be able to think better after" Elena takes Daphne's arm and helps her up to her feet. Alaric sets out plates and cutlery on the table as Elena leads Daphne over to it. Daphne takes a seat across from Alaric.

"How did it go with Rebekah?" Daphne asks as Elena sets a burger and fries in front of her sister.

"She's going to tell me everything" Elena answers, Daphne gives her a look. "She's scared of him, Daph. I saw her face. I just have to engage in a little 'mean girl' power struggle first"

"You were never very good at the whole mean girl thing" Daphne counters as she picks up a handful of fries.

"I've got this, Daph" Elena assures her. "If we can figure out a way to kill Klaus, Stefan will be free of his compulsion, and you will find a way to undo the ripper..." Elena adds a can of soda to Daphne's meal and Daphne looks up at her warmly.

"Then you got this" Daphne agrees softly.

"You're sure about that?" Alaric asks. The two girls turn to look straight at him. "I mean a thousand-year-old vampire, I'm sure, has learned the art of patience." While he speaks, Elena receives a text message: 'Come over for a chat. Rebekah'.

"She's a thousand-year-old vampire, who's joined the cheerleader squad..." Elena counters. "There is a whole different set of rules that play here, Ric. I got this" She holds up the phone to show him the text with a smirk. "Enjoy your lunch," She tells them as she goes to leave. Daphne hums a little and then turns to look at Alaric.

"Do you have any coffee?" She asks him. He hums and nods.

"I'll put a pot on when we're finished"

...........

Later; Somebody knocks on Alaric's door then opens it, Bonnie letting herself in. She glances around. There are more post-it notes and mess now. Daphne may have tied it up at some point but all that work has flown out the window. Daphne looks rather wired too. Like a chipmunk on crack.

"Hey" Bonnie greets as she closes the door behind her.

"Bonnie" Daphne greets warmly.

"Got your message"

"Yeah, great!!" Daphne cheers, Bonnie looks at her weirdly and then sighs.

"Did you give her coffee?" She asks Alaric who frowns a little.