Chapter 3

Sidharth walks towards the memorial of Mahima Dewan built inside the children's park. His father had built it after she passed away. He stands in front of it, staring at her statue. He misses her so much today. Only if she was here, life would have been different.
Suddenly a child comes and grabs his leg from behind. He turns and picks him up. He smiles at him and asks,
"Hey! Ki naam tomar? What's your name? Where is your Baba and Ma?"
The child, a three year old boy, smiles without replying.

He starts looking around for his parents and dashes with a lady. She is about to fall when he grabs her wrist and pulls her closer to his chest. Her hair fell on her face, covering it completely. She slowly removes her hair, revealing herself to him. Their eyes meet and for a minute they get lost in each other. The child touches his chin breaking the trance. He slowly helps her stand again.

"No matter what happens, you may love me or not, I will keep loving you. I will never leave you, Sid."

She is tall, beautiful with long curly hair. She wears a cream chikan saree, a pair of diamond studs on her ears and no makeup except for a lip balm.
They keep looking at each other until the child says, "Mumma."
Sidharth looks towards the woman standing behind her. He takes the child to her and hands him over to her. He turns to find her walking away with a group of kids in uniform.

"Please wait."
He calls from behind. She stops and says something to another lady accompanying her. The lady walks with the kids and she waits there for him to come.
"Why are you calling me? I don't think we should talk."
She says without looking at him.
"I.. I just.. How are you?"
She turns to face him. Her beautiful eyes are red as she controls the tears that are trying to break the boundaries.

"Who are you to ask me that? I don't know you. You are a stranger."
Sidharth smiles, "Is that so? Then why are those tears trying their best to spill out?"
She looks away, "I shouldn't be talking to you."
"I just wanted to know if you are okay."

"Why? Who are you to ask these questions? You don't know me and I don't know you."
"Maybe... maybe we didn't get to know each other. But you know very well who I am. Basundhara, you out of all know very well I am Sidharth Dewan. And I want to know how you are because we are still.."
"Shut up. You are nobody to me. You are just a.."
"Fraudster? Basundhara, you know this is not true. You might not accept me for who I am but you know what our relationship is. We were friends once, Basundhara. At Least for the sake of friendship, you can talk to me."

Basundhara looks up to him and a drop of tear escapes her eyes.
"Sid, you should not talk about our relationship. You never had any respect for it. Then why now? And which relationship are you talking about? The one where I had to hide our reality in front of the world. The one where only I did things for you and you didn't even care if I am living or dead. And friendship? You really never cared for me. As a friend you just gave me pain. Please Sid, stop telling me all these."

Sidharth nods his head,"I know how much you have suffered because of me. Trust me, there's not a single day that I repent for my behavior. I don't deserve to even stand and ask for your forgiveness. But you know what Basundhara, I am happy. You addressed me as Sid. You accept me as Sidharth Dewan. That's enough for me."
Basundhara looks at him, "No. I don't. And if you think I will give my statement in favour of you in court then you are wrong. You are not Sid."

Sidharth gives her a sad smile, "No matter what happens, you may love me or not, I will keep loving you. I will never leave you. Those were the words."
He takes a pause, "I don't expect you to give any statement in my favor at the court. I am not asking anything from you. Not even your forgiveness. I wanted to know if you are alright. You were not well the last time I saw you."

She stares at him with tears, "Why are you behaving like a good guy? Like you are really concerned for me. If you are Sidharth Dewan then you should hate me."
He smiles a little, "You know I am Sidharth Dewan. But I have changed. That accident not only changed my life but also me. Basundhara, I can't hate you. And I am genuinely concerned for you. Afterall you are still my wife. Take care."