Chapter 17: Broken Curse

Just as Joanna kissed the frog, the curse was broken.

Vivienne Eisbourg made a piercing scream, scaring the dragon that had immobilized her and causing it to leap back and loosen its grip.

At that moment, she was dragged to the ground by two dark shadows until she was swallowed up by an invisible dark vortex. Once the dragon had returned, the vortex had been closed, leaving behind the chaotic mess that resulted from the magical duel.

According to legend, the true love’s kiss of a princess can break the curse. This was actually true. Although the emphasis is on the kiss of true love, the power of loyalty can also be used to break the curse. It’s just that someone who has a royal lineage can greatly enhance the effect of the kiss, but the royal lineage can only ‘enhance’ the effect. With that logic in mind, if the King gave the kiss of true love himself, perhaps the magic to break the curse will be more powerful. On the other hand, the kiss of loyalty from a general could work, or even the kiss from a soldier or a knight.

While Joanna’s kiss, or a Witch’s kiss, had nothing to do with true love, it can also break a lot of curses and bestow a lot of blessings—because as witches they can use kissing to channel their magic. This method was ideal for breaking the curse; the more powerful the witch was, the more effective the spell.

Therefore, the kiss she had just given to the “servant” earlier had broken the magic that bound the poor soul, freeing him from his shell and blessing him with a pleasant journey. In the end he was able to safely rest his soul with the embrace of death.

Of course, Ian who was kissed, was not aware of any of this knowledge at all. All he knew was that he was being kissed by Joanna, his goddess….Even if he died at this moment, he would die without regret.

When he opened his eyes once again, he immediately saw his goddess’ shocked expression, her eyes filled with disbelief.

Ian could tell that he was no longer a frog; the sensation that spread all over his body made him feel that he had returned to his human body. However, Joanna’s reaction made him feel embarrassed and uncomfortable.

Although he didn’t care whether he was handsome or not, according to how people usually reacted to him he shouldn’t be ugly either. So why was his goddess so shocked? Could it be….did he become more hideous and repulsive than the servant who just died?

Or was he no longer a human being, but instead another kind of creature? After all, Joanna did say that the mad woman’s curse was incomplete…..

So he raised his hands to touch his head, and then he looked down to see his feet. He felt his long hair draping over his face, and when he touched his belly, he could see that it no longer emanated like a frog’s…..the curse had been broken and he changed back!

Why does this scare Joanna?

He wanted to speak but….he didn’t know how to address Joanna.

Should he call her ‘Miss Joanna’? Or maybe ‘Master’? Calling her goddess would definitely not be appropriate….This was a secret in his heart! Joanna was unaware of the heat that was rising within him as he stared at her intensely. The feelings flooding inside of Ian threatened to drown him, such that he had to look away before she could discover his ragged breathing.

Joanna thought he could’ve been a child, maybe a child under ten years old. After all, he was such a tiny frog. But instead she ended up with an adult man, and also—…..Nonsense, how would one expect a frog to be wearing clothes? Of course it was only natural that he was completely bare. She didn’t have to gawk at him……In the past she had treated and seen so many bodies, so why does she have to feel embarrassed now?

Joanna pulled off her cloak and handed it to the man; she watched him take it as if he had received a gift from heaven. Ian buried his face deep into the cloak….His satisfied expression reminded her of the times when he had buried his face into her hair as a frog. This made her feel even more embarrassed.

“Quickly put it on, or do you want to freeze to death?!”

“Okay!” Ian quickly wore the cape and enveloped himself in the taste of Joanna…It felt as if he was owned by Joanna, as if he were a part of her body.

Ian was much taller than Joanna. When she wore the cloak, the hem would drag on the ground, but with Ian, the cloak only reached up to his ankle. The cape wasn’t suitable for him at all, but he was very satisfied.

After he wore the cape, Joanna took the lizard which had returned to its prototype, and placed it on her shoulder. Meanwhile she lifted her wooden staff so that the crow could perch on it to rest. Hiding her embarrassment, Joanna cleared up her throat and said, “Since your curse is broken, then it’s time for you to return. I think you should know the way back to your home….I’ll give you some money for the trip. Would this be enough?”

If he were just a child, she would naturally bring him back. After all a child may not know where his or her home is, so she would be willing to raise the child until the origins are found. Or if the child was willing to be her disciple, then she would be able to pass on her inheritance as a witch. The title of a “Witch” is not necessarily passed on from mother to daughter; it can also be passed on from master to student, even if that student wasn’t a woman…..but this was a man, an adult man.

When she finished speaking, she suddenly felt a slight pain on her hand.

The seemingly indomitable man was now kneeling on the ground, tightly grasping her hand, as he looked at her with pleading and fearful eyes. “No, don’t go! Please don’t abandon me!”

Thinking that she would insist for him to “go back” or to “let go” of her hand, he couldn’t help but break down in tears—he was afraid to lose his whole world and become hopeless.