第26章 - Saying Goodbye Hurts

She didn't really remember the last time she was in here - her bedroom back at the estate

She didn't really remember the last time she was in here - her bedroom back at the estate. She stayed at the school dormitory now so she barely came back. Then again, she hadn't even been in her dorm room much lately. It was just one infirmary stay after another.

The taste of the curry udon she had with her friends and adoptive father lingered in her mouth and only added to her inner turmoil. No matter how many restaurants she tried, how many times she cooked it herself, she could never make curry udon the same way he did.

It felt nostalgic to look around her own bedroom that she had grown up sleeping in. Everything looked exactly the same from the books that lined her shelves, only her favorites, the rest were in the estate library, to the paintings hanging on her walls.

Her violet-blue eyes landed on the large framed photograph above her dresser that had been taken years ago when everything wasn't this complicated. The corner of her lips curved up slightly as she stared at the white-haired little girl squished between two young men, her two favorite people, in the painting. Her eyes shifted to the man on the right who had a big closed-eye smile decorating his face. His bangs fell slightly over his left eye while the rest of his black hair was tied up in a top knot. There was a hand on his shoulder that belonged to his best friend whose grin was just as wide as the other two's. His then signature black circular sunglasses glinted under the sun.

She swallowed dryly and willed the tears threatening to well up in her eyes to disappear. Her misty violet-blue eyes traveled back to the little girl who wore a pair of dazzling earrings with dark violet-blue gems that matched her eyes.

Hiyori didn't know what came over her. Maybe it was the lingering effects of hysteria from earlier or the overwhelming grief threatening to swallow her whole but she rushed to her bedside table. Her hands moved like clockwork to unlatch the puzzle lock on the first drawer of the table. She fumbled through the drawer that was just as big of a mess as her emotional state right now before she finally took out a small, black box.

Her hands trembled slightly as she opened it to reveal a pair of earrings - the same earrings in the photo. They shined under her bedroom's fluorescent light that caused the dark violet-blue gems adorning the earrings to glimmer and blink like the stars outside her window. The tears fell before she could stop them. They landed on the small, white, satin pillow that cushioned the earrings. She delicately took one of the earrings out of the box as if it would break as easily as her heart did today if she didn't handle it properly.

"Hiyori, I have a gift for you!" Hiyori looked up from her book to see her favorite uncle standing in front of her. Her eyes lit up immediately. She stuck the bookmark Nanami got her in between the white, crisp pages before setting her book down on her lap.

"What is it?" She asked the dark-haired man in front of her. Her violet-blue eyes were full of curiosity. Suguru couldn't help the smile that formed on his face at the sight.