0.51 | T.G.E.F

THE GREEN EYED FAMILY

NANCY SAT ON THE RED SOFA, head laid back. Her head throbbed and a terrible tension had settled into her shoulders and back. Nancy had been prone to spells of headaches and sickness as far as she could remember.

"Oh, here darling." She could hear her mother's voice. Her eyes barely opened, to see the cup of tea being extended to her. She swallowed harshly, taking it and taking a long drink. Her mouth felt dry as if stuffed with cotton. Mother looked to Nancy's brother.

"Norman." She snapped. Norman's head turned. "Do you mind turning that off and going to play or read in your room? Your sister needs it to be quiet as possible right now." She gently asked of him. Norman nodded, approaching the television and turning it off. Nancy opened her eyes again for a moment to look at her brother. He was average height for a bit his age, was blonde like father, had a face covered in freckles and a gap in his teeth. Nancy could faintly recall hearing her mother and father debate headgear, but the memory felt more like a dream. Most of her memories felt like dreams.

"Can I go lay down, mum? I know you wanted me to go to the market with you-"

"Oh, whatever you need dear. We can go later. It's not even noon yet." Mother smiled. "Here, I'll get you up to your room." She gave Nancy her hand, helping her stand and then helping her back up the stairs and to her bedroom. Nancy eased herself onto her bed and slipped her shoes off.

"Just come get me when your up and we can go." Mother left her with that, keeping her door ajar. Nancy crawled up her pink quilt, easing herself down and onto the pillow. She pulled her knees in, her hands resting in front of her. She reached back, untying the ribbon in her hair and allowing it to be loose. She then rested back down and closed her eyes, allowing herself to slip into sleep once again.

__

She had the dreams constantly. Voices she didn't know speaking to her in them, but when she searched for the sources she was met with horrifyingly faceless bodies. Clothing and hair intact, but faceless. She couldn't give them one if she tried. The first dream was the closest she had ever been to seeing one of them. The dreams were different yet vaguely the same every time. As if she was seeing episodes of a show with no context. Just that callbox. That stayed the same always.

Reoccurring characters. No names, no faces. Just bodies and voices.

This one began on a sidewalk. In a damp and cold alleyway. Behind her cars, unimaginably fast cars, zoomed by and blared their horns. Headlights were painfully bright. And she was in those clothes again. Clothes she had never owned but fit her so perfectly as if she owned them for ages. Jeans, a thick brown belt, and a black crewneck sweater tucked in, that had most certainly seen better days. The wind blew her hair into her face.

She squinted against it, brushing her hair out of her face. And before her was the call box, as it had always been. Worn blue and a light-emitting from its window panes too high up to offer her a real glance within. A woman stood before her. She faced the callbox. She was taller than her, but not by a lot. She wore denim pants similar to the one's dream Nancy did, and a tan leather coat. She had been reoccurring in the dreams, but like the rest faceless. She turned to face Nancy.

Nancy recoiled. This was different. Blue eyes looked upon her and she saw lips turned in a kind smile. The woman had a face this time. The woman from this morning. It was her, it was that woman. Why was she here? Was she the red-haired woman from her dreams the entire time?

She turned away and walked to the callbox, opened the doors, and stepped inside. Nancy had never been inside it. Never occurred to her to go inside. She looked around hesitantly. She followed the woman, pushing the door to the box open. A warm light basked on her as she peeked in. The woman was nowhere in sight.