how to keep a hostage

Denise shifted uncomfortably. She didn't know that she would ever be able to feel it but she felt it; his gaze was like a burning torch and it felt uncomfortable everywhere his eyes looked. She had never had anyone look at her for such a long time.

She peeped at him and found him having a look of some godly concentration. The object of his focus; her arse. She turned it away from his line of sight and tried clenching her the cheeks to make her arse seem as small as possible. But even with all her effort, his eyes never left her. She turned all her focus to the stones, glaring at them for not making flames fast enough.

Under her intense gaze, the stones produced large enough sparks and the flames started. Like before, the smoke stung her eyes and she had to step away to allow the flames to grow as she fanned them from a distance.

When they had grown enough, she looked at the wolf cautiously, trying to make sure that he didn't attack her fire again. When she was sure he wouldn't, she turned to her potato and used to large stone to break a big piece off.

She got a large leaf that had been carrying some water. She used the water to wash the leaf and the piece of sweet potato. She proceeded to wrap the sweet potato in the leaf and throw it into the flames.

She had wrapped them because she knew next to nothing about roasting potatoes and she didn't want them to get charred in her learning. She had only known about it when she was reading an article about the starved soldiers during the world wars.

Countries were out of resources and yet they had to defend their boarders. The rations were very low, it was had to find water and it was harder to cook a proper meal. The article said and quote, 'they roasted potatoes'. It also had a couple of short sentences about how they solved their lack of food and water.

For the first time in her life, Denise had to offer a standing ovation to history for its first chance at being useful towards her survival. It was not even funny that she had to be stuck in some prehistoric era for the history to have any use.

It can be said that Denise really didn't like history. She considered it to be a long gossipy tale that she had to be examined on. She would have preferred to just listen to the stories and move on with her life.

(A/N; the most amazing story of history; Grigori Yefimovich Rasputin)

The wolf beastman looked at the vegetable that she had put in the fire. He wondered if she was a herbivorous beastman. He knew herbivores for being weak but he hadn't met any that could eat fire.

He looked the sweet potato burn in the flames and then turned to her, waiting to see if she would open her mouth and devour the whole thing. Or maybe she would just suck the flames and leave the wood, that seemed much more appropriate, given her size.

Denise turned to him, "Are you going to take me to a lake or something? I need water."

"You said you were going to eat," he said.

"Yes but, I can't eat the sweet potato alone. I'll choke," she said to him.

He thought that maybe she needed the water to cool the flames as she ate. Then she didn't seem awesome at all. His interest waned and his expression dropped. He stood up, his form creating a shadow over hers.

"If you need anything," he said, "you can find it for yourself. If you are attacked, it is none of my concern."

Denise almost smiled. For a second there, she thought he would offer up something for the sake of good will. Instead, he waved his hand at her telling her to do it herself. What more could she say? What more could she do? She just watched him morph into his wolf and start walking away.