Hidden

Dalia's POV

"Wait, you mean to tell me, Dallas has a little sister and still doesn't know how to treat a girl?" Cherry asked.

"Look, I don't like him either." I said crossing my arms and leaning back. "And I feel like you two know more than what you're letting on."

"You could say that." Cherry said making a sharp turn.

I waited for a second. "Well?" I asked.

"Look, I'm gonna take it you're a greaser?" Cherry started.

"What the hell is that?" I asked. "Wait, does this have to do with the whole Soc thing? Cause I still don't really get that." I said with an eye roll.

"Oh yeah. I forgot you're from New York." Cherry said, softly. "Well, down here, we consider the rich kids Socs. Short for socials. We live on the west. And greasers are the poor kids who live on the east. Yeah, we've got a difference in money. That seems to be what people think the real difference is. But the truth is, there's a lot more to it. Dallas is a grease. He likes to jump people, get in fights, and all that stuff."

I guess it made sense for the people I've met so far to be a greaser.

"Anyway, I know I haven't been the nicest to you since we've met. But I promise I'm not like that." Cherry said.

I laughed a bit. "Sorry. I'm just curious, if that's your mean attitude, what's your nice look like?"

They both laughed. "Well, a lot better than this. Look, I don't think you're like Dallas. Even if you think you are."

I stopped her. "I don't think I'm like him. I'm just more like him than my other brother." I said putting her in her place.

"Whatever. Just don't get all mean and bitchy. Trust me. Ponyboy and Johnny are sweet kids. Try to be more like them."

"I really don't think I'm gonna have to be. I kinda wanna go back to New York."

"Really? I thought you wanted to stay?" Marcia asked.

"I did. But knowing Dalton's alive and been hiding out, I feel... I dunno. Like I was betrayed and I don't really wanna be apart of that."

"That's fair. I hope everything works out for ya." Cherry said.

"Thanks. Me too." I said with a slight laugh.

"Alright. You ready to get dropped off?"

"Yeah. I'm actually gonna go to the Curtis'." I said. "All my stuff is there."

"Alright. We'll be there in about ten minutes."

We drove a bit and we had conversations that weren't about Dallas or how fucked up my life is. It was nice. I met two girls who actually wanted to talk to me. Kinda reminded me of Lottie.

We pulled up to their house and I hopped outta the car. "Be careful, Dalia." Marcia said.

"Yeah, and don't get to trusting. Just a word of advice for ya." Cherry said.

"Alright. Thank you a bunch. I owe ya, big time." I said with a small grin.

"Don't worry about it. See ya around." She said.

They drove off and I walked up to the house. We were out for a while, so I looked inside quickly to make sure I didn't see Dallas or Dalton. They have to know I was coming here.

I walked inside and closed the door quickly behind me. "Dalia, are you ok?" Sodapop asked running up to me.

"How did you know?" I asked. "H-How did you know why Dallas was actually going to Windrixville?"

He sighed. "I overheard him in New York."

"What's going on?" Ponyboy asked, walking into the room with Darry.

"Dalton's alive. Dallas knew about it, too." I mumbled, still unable to process this.

Sodapop told the whole story about how he accidentally overheard everything. I couldn't believe it. No wonder I was always left out. They had this secret bond that nobody knew about. He went to Dallas for help. I was always just gonna be his annoying little sister.

"Uh oh..." Ponyboy mumbled.

"What?" I asked.

"Look outside." He whispered.

I turned around and looked through the window. There they were. Walking up to the house.

I gasped and stood up. "Where can I hide? They can't see me!" I said in the loudest whisper I could.

"Here, follow me." Sodapop said.

We ran into the kitchen and he closed the door behind him. "This cabinet is the biggest one we have. Crawl in and I'll get them outta here." He said.

I crawled into the dusty cabinet under the sink and pushed my legs to my chest. Now I just wait...

Dallas' POV

I'm gonna kill her. I'm going to kill her. Those damn Socs came in and got her and took her here. I know they did. She's got nowhere else to go.

I opened the door and slammed it shut with Dalton right next to me. "Where is she?" I asked.

Sodapop walked out of the kitchen and Darry was sitting on the chair reading the paper while Ponyboy was watching TV.

"Well, hello to you, too Dallas." Soda said with a grin.

I rolled my eyes. "Where is she? I know she's here." I said to Ponyboy.

"I assume we're talking about Dalia. And she's not here. She left this morning and hasn't come back."

I rolled my eyes. "What do you think I am? An idiot?"

"Dal, calm down." Dalton said.

"Shut your trap. I'll do what I want."

"Who's this?" Sodapop asked.

"Oh, knock it off. I told you if you told Dalia anything I said in New York, I'd knock your head in." I said getting up in his face.

"I didn't tell her anything. I swear. Once she gets back you can see for yourself." He said. He seemed nervous, but tried to play it off like it was nothing.

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah. Ok." I said sarcastically.

"Dallas, maybe she really isn't here yet."

My God, I thought Dalton was smart!

"She's in this-"I stopped myself. I took a breath and calmed down. "Fine. Then I'll just wait here."