Pride

A/N in the last chapter I put Kevin O'Hare as the president of RB, but he didn't take over until later so at this time it was actually Monica Mason.

-----

April 21, 2007

Her hand fiddles with the scarf that dangled from the side of her collar. Behind that door sat everyone within the building that held an inkling of power. The director, Ms. Lewis and Monsieur Michael who were the company managers, Sarah Chatto the vice president and William's distant distant cousin, and a few other patrons who made up the board were sitting on the other side.

Surprisingly her hands weren't shaking, words were trapped in her head, and were struggling to come out, but her body stood rigidly still outside the office.

"You don't even know how proud of you I am..."

Her smile returns, remembering the words William said through her phone a few nights ago. The service was awful, both of their voices filling with static, and they only had a few moments before he had to return back to training, but she pressed her phone closer to her ear breathing the chilled night air outside of the theater.

He was back tonight, and she would get to see him once she was done here. Which was enough motivation to push through. They were now approaching the one month mark of not seeing each other. It ached to be alone, but she knew one day they wouldn't have to leave each other anymore.

You look amazing... She consoled her thoughts as they returned to the task at hand. Running her hands over the yellow chiffon shirt she went and bought just for today. The pants and shoes were old, the shoes specifically she had been wearing since her Upper School days, but even the comfortable wear added to the charm.

Yellow, while not her best color, made her look like the sun. Or so her grandma always said. So, she looked happy, and sophisticated with Zara's Gucci coat she was borrowing.

A click resounded in the hall, and time slowed as Jaclyn watched the knob twist and the door crack open. She took one last calming breath as the door fully opened revealing a smiling Ms. Lewis who ushered her into the conference room. Others sat evenly around the long table, most scanning her up and down with stoic faces.

It was the man who sat at the head of the table, perhaps the one person she didn't have to worry about oddly enough, that made her freeze.

Charles sent her a small encouraging smile, maintaining an air of professionalism like they both preferred. And yes, for the last week she told everyone that asked that she did not want Charles to come, but the twist in her gut unraveled as he smiled.

Even if nothing came of this, it had to be done.

"Miss Webber, you have something to discuss with us?"

Her gaze snapped to Monica Mason, the company director, as the woman carefully spoke. Based on the guarded look in her eyes, Jaclyn guessed Monica knew what this was about. That they all knew.

"I do, ma'am." Jaclyn's hand slipped into her coat pocket, feeling for the notecards she knew were there, but she had to make sure.

"Very well then." The graying woman said, flicking her hand to the other end of the table that remained empty. As Jaclyn walked to her spot she went over every little detail she wanted to remember. Every pause. Every stare. Every rise of her voice. It was choreographed like a dance in a way.

Look each of them in the eyes...

Don't forget to breathe...

She pulls out her notecards, giving each of them a polite smile before she starts. This allows her to take all of them in, Monica Mason is off to Charles' side, while Sarah Chatto is off to his other.