Chapter 26 - Lockdown

When they broke through the tower defenses Bucky had headed to where Friday said Peter was as Steve had prepared to defend his home. The Avengers had held their own but were slowly being overwhelmed by the sheer number of enemies there were. Everytime you knocked one down three more took their place. That's when she had appeared soaked in blood and carrying a knife she had drawn the attention of everyone to give the Avengers time to regroup. But then he had lost her again when he saw her she was glowing but then she was gone. The energy blast Layla created had killed every introducer in the building but left some completely unharmed as if it could pick and choose.

Natasha had tried to tell him not to look but he had. Steve would forever be haunted by the face of his dead soulmate, her burned face and empty eyes would plague his nightmares.

Steve couldn't believe his eyes, she was alive! Layla stood at the kitchen bar sipping from a bottle of rum as if it was a normal thing.

Fury was the first to react, drawing for his gun as Layla walked over to him coming to a halt an inch in front of the barrel. The atmosphere of the room was tense as everyone stiffened ready to react if things escalated it would just be a question of who's side you were on.

Layla smiled, it was playful but held unbreakable determination "Nicholas Joseph Fury Director of SHIELD, I don't believe we have had the pleasure of meeting."

Fury huffed slowly lowering his gun "No, I don't believe we have. Nobody I know ever addressed me by my full name, not even my own mother. But then how do you know me?"

"I make a point to know the people who might be an annoyance to me. SHIELD is just one in a long line." She shrugged nonchalantly while her smile turned wicked "SHIELD has many secrets, you try and bury them but everything eventually comes to light. A man who has secrets for your secrets. You are standing in the presence of a monster you will never be able to control. Are you afraid yet, Director?"

Surprisingly it was Natasha who stepped in between them placing her hand on Layla's shoulder as if that would somehow stop her "Layla please we have more important things to worry about then antagonizing the Director."

"She's right cupcake!"Stark looked up from his tablet as his fingers flew over the screen "Our friends from last night were a decoy. While we were all fighting they took out Friday and had a second team infiltrate the lower levels and grabbed Pete and Super Soldier #2."

The animalistic growl that rippled from Layla's lips made Natasha back away slowly from her friend. Layla whirled, throwing the bottle of rum at the wall causing it to explode before she turned a furious gaze on Stark.

"Where are they?" her words left no room for sarcasm. Her family was under threat. Layla was out for blood.

"We don't know." Surprisingly it was Bruce who dared to speak up. "When we got Friday back online we tried to find them but they were gone. I'm sorry Layla."

"I knew this would happen." Layla snarled "I knew if I let you help then someone would get hurt. And guess what? My psycho brother has one of my soulmates and a child that I care very deeply about!"

"We will get them back. I promise." Steve reassuringly touched her shoulder and for a split second Layla softened as her soulmark flared.

But she slowly pulled away, turning to face Steve "There is no we, just me." her hand rested gently on his cheek "I can't put you in harm's way Steve. Victor will kill Bucky then he will kill you if he knows what you are to me. I promise I will find him and bring Peter and Bucky home. But I can't risk anyone else getting hurt."

Steve leaned into her touch relishing in the coolness of her skin but all too soon it disappeared.

Layla picked up the container from the table no one had dared open it after Vision had placed it back in the box. They realized all too late what was happening. Layla was already out the door closing the door behind her.

"Friday?"

"Yes Miss Jones."

"Lock down the tower access code cupcake."

"Be safe Miss Jones."

Layla smiled slightly trying to block out the yelling as thick metal sealed the doors and windows "I will try Friday."

It was time for a good old family reunion.

*Don't forget to drop a comment* 

-Warning shits about to get crazy as this story progress so strap in because I will leave you yelling at your screen at the end of every chapter cause I love a good cliff hanger just thought I should give you a fair warning-