Chapter 8: Spillage

"Whose side are you on?"

The lights in the cinema dim and the romantic film starts to roll. The PT sits back. Hands resting on its knees, eyes focused, not on the screen, but the back of Leo's head, which was currently very still, facing forward. The PT turns its head slightly to see a different posture from Anna. Her body leaning ever so slightly towards Leo, causing the male to lean just that little bit further away.

And that is how they stay...until things on the big screen heat up. As the main characters build up to that first kiss, Anna seems to be snuggling further into Leo. He is all too aware of her presence and try as he might, he cannot ignore the fact that she wants the same as the actors on screen.

Actors...that's it! Maybe he could just get away with this if he pretended. He could fake that he liked her. Practise his acting abilities. He wanted acting to be his chosen career path after all!

He closes his eyes, blanking his mind from his true self, his real feelings and adopts a persona. Leo, the boyfriend. He again opens his eyes and turns to see Anna already gazing whimsically at him. He is doing this...convincing his mind that he is an actor. He can act! Their lips again edge closer, now a breath away. Anna slowly closes her eyes and Leo does the same, but then something strange, something unexpected happens.

Around one side of his neck, Leo feels two fingers. Strange fingers. Definitely not Anna's." Not hot, not cold, but enough to make him jump and knock his extra large coke right into his lap. "Shit, shit It's cold." Leo curses, followed by a "shhh" from somewhere else in the cinema. "I'm sorry Anna....I...I'd better go to the bathroom."

"It's ok." She says, equally a little surprised by the incident which just occurred.

Leo gets up, feeling the coldness of the ice cubes on his skin through his jeans. He glances up at The PT who is watching passively every movement Leo is making. "Come with me...now." He huffs through gritted teeth.

"Ok Leo." The PT replies, getting up from the seat and following a very hassled Leo to the cinema's toilets.

"What's with the fingers on my neck?" Leo questions annoyed. Both now stood next to the line of sinks, opposite the long mirror.

"Well Leo, in order to correctly identify your response to the sudden change in situation, a measurement of your pulse needed to be taken." The PT finishes off with a subtle smile. The PT again raises a hand to Leo's neck, once again attempting to measure the pulse.

Leo smacks the hand away. "Don't touch me!" He bites back, making The PT lower the hand to rest once again to the side. "I've changed my tact anyway.' He adds.

"You mean an adjustment to your experiment?" The PT says, always having to intellectualise every word Leo says.

"Yes...I want to be an actor when I graduate and I can pretend." Leo looks at his tutor as if seeking to confirmation that this was a good idea.

"You are supposed to be studying medicine." The PT reminds him.

Leo glares at The PT, through squinted eyes "Who's side are you on?"

"Side? I don't understand your logic in this instance. In order to reach an informed opinion, one needs to analyse all sides of a topic." The PT answers, its words just riling Leo up even more."

"Ok...well here's something for you to analyse..." Leo points to his soggy jeans. "I am currently wearing wet clothes and you are not. How about we swap and you can decide if you like it."

"Well Leo, unfortunately I cannot experience sensory learning, but if you wish to purchase an upgrade package, please go to www...."

"I know I know, www.mytutor.com/upgrades!" Leo waves his hands in front of The PT to stop the talking. "Look...we just need to swap trousers ok?...and I know you can't undress yourself." Leo adds, saving The PT the trouble of referring him once to the upgrade packages.

"Ok Leo." The PT replies, standing still, ready to be undressed. A short time passes...Leo has done nothing, apart from try to keep his mouth going completely dry at the prospect of what he was about to do...undress an apparent male, waist down in a public bathroom.

"Leo, do you need instructions on how to undo a belt buckle?" The PT speaks, making Leo's nerves jolt a little.

"No. I need you to shut up." He bites back. He then looks at The PT. Maybe this would be a little less awkward if he switched off his tutor. "Raise your hand, PT." Leo instructs. The PT responds accordingly and Leo presses the palm of his hand against his tutor. "See you next time Leo." The PT says, before the deep green iris stops circling and the look once again becomes vacant.

Now...the trousers.