0.52 | T.G.E.F

THE GREEN EYED FAMILY

NANCY STAGGERED BACK IN THE TOWNHOME, large and full cloth grocery bags clinging to her arms as she strode across to the kitchen. She felt woozy again. Out of breath. She knelt against the wall as she let the bags sink to the floor and off her arms

"What's wrong with you?" Norman smiled, his round face turned in a sneer. Nancy shot him a glare and pressed the flat of her palm to her forehead.

"I feel sick again. Why do I keep feeling so sick?" She asked out loud, more to herself than anyone.

"Maybe go lie back down darling?" Her father suggested. He was smiling at her. He approached her, rubbing the side of her face sympathetically. She clasped a hand over his, leaning into her fathers touch. He was worried.

"Let me pour you a drink - some water maybe, and then you can go rest again." He offered. "Go upstairs and I'll bring it to you." Nancy nodded slowly, mumbling and agreeing to his offer. She slipped her shoes off by the bottom of the stairs and began to trudge up, placing her palm flat against her forehead. She was warm - no, she was hot. A fever was settling in for sure.

Her father looked to the open door, seeing her mother standing there.

"Where is Nancy?" She asked. He pursed his lips, eyebrows turned upwards in a worried expression.

"Sick." He sighed. "Norman, go to your room please. Let mum and I have a discussion." Norman began to refute before he sternly told him again. Norman took off, dragging his toy behind him. When he was out of sight, he turned back to his wife.

"I don't think Nancy is coping well this time." He looked down. "She hasn't coped well since she, well she got that illness all those centuries ago. Forgot what she was. Why can't we just tell her, my darling?" He asked. Her mother dropped the bags on the counter and shook her head. Black curls bobbed back and forth.

"No." She looked over. "No, no, no. I don't think that's wise. She believes she is human, no? She's believed she was human for centuries. I don't know how she never noticed but, maybe that's part of the anatomical confusion she has. We can't tell her though. She's adapted like a human. Thinks like a human. Feels like a human. If we just told her it would shatter her and we would have a bigger mess on her hands. Humans have that nasty trick they like to pull when they are grief stricken, you know." She reminded him.

He shook his head. "I sent her upstairs to sleep. She was warm. Which is good I suppose, but that consciousness is putting up a fight. We may have the Doctor's influence on that body prior to thank for that." He grumbled. "You just had to pick someone who is with the Doctor."

"Don't." Her mother snapped. Her eyes filled with tears. "You know why I picked her. Because she looked like her."

Nancy, whose back was pressed to the stair cases wall, sucked in a breath. It was caught in her throat. What the hell were they talking about? She was getting sicker and they knew. What did they even mean? She felt her stomach do rolls. The Doctor? She kept hearing that name. She needed to find him. She was sure of it. He had the answers.
__

Nancy had slipped out from the family home when her parents had become preoccupied with something else. They thought she was asleep, locked up in her room. She didn't have much time, but if the Doctor seemingly had invested interest in her then he couldn't be far away.

She had spent an hour now venturing down each end of her street, searching high and low for anything that rung a bell. Nothing of any use turned up. Not that woman, nothing. She had counted her loses and began her walk back home before she was found out and punished. She walked, green eyes on the ground as the leaves brushed over her shoes.