Chapter 43

AVERY READ SHELLY'S MESSAGES several times. "I wouldn't want the shadow of his sorry ass looming over us, using the baby as an excuse." Then, finally, Ethan's words dawned on her. He was right. David needed to know he was in the past. Her present and future were Ethan. Little Bean was hers, and he could only get borrowed time.

She sighed. Deep in her reflections, she hadn't realized her dad had been watching her from a distance.

"Everything alright, Muffin?"

Surprised, Avery looked in her dad's direction. From the look on his face, she knew he felt she was bothered. So instead of answering, she gave her "princess needs advise" smile. Immediately, her dad walked toward her and sat beside her.

"Your mom and Ella are busy wrapping gifts for the baby shower. I thought of checking on you and my munchkin." Her dad's voice was soothing.

When she saw her dad leaning back on the couch, she slowly rested her head on his chest. Warmth and comfort exuded when she felt her dad's hand slowly massaging her hair. He was the best dad she could have asked for. He came at the right time and the right place. Always ready to comfort her and say the words she needed to hear. And this moment was not an exception.

Her dad cleared his throat. "What's bothering you?"

She took a deep breath. "David is back in Boston. He told Shelly he came in time for little Bean's birth." Slowly, she patted her bump.

Her dad sighed softly. "Okay... Did he contact you?"

Avery leaned closer to her dad's chest. Finally, he put his right hand on her shoulder and squeezed her hand with the other. It was his way of assuring her. He was signaling his readiness to listen.

"He didn't... not yet. Shelly asked Art to bring him camping to buy me time. She wants me to talk to Ethan first." Her speech was slow and monosyllabic.

"Have you talked to Ethan?" her dad inquired calmly.

She shook her head. "Not yet. I don't know what to say to him. I feel guilty bringing my past's baggage into his calm life." A long sigh followed as she closed her eyes.

Her dad knew what she wanted to hear even without looking at each other's faces. "Do you want my suggestion?"

Silently, she nodded, not minding if her dad saw her gesture. She wanted to feel calm, hear the silence, and be comforted by her dad's wise words.

"Tell Ethan the truth. That's what he would want."

Avery turned her head away from her dad and looked at him inquisitively. 

"He talked to me," her dad told her. "Ethan talked to me. He's worried that David didn't properly get closure about your relationship. I couldn't blame the CEO." He laughed. "I have the prettiest, most charming, and kindhearted daughter. You are every man's dream, Muffin."

She smirked at her dad and pouted. "I'm not sure right now, Dad. I can be David's nightmare and Ethan's regret."

Jim Jackson shook his head. "I don't think so. Why do you regard yourself less? Where did my fearless daughter go?"

"I felt like I didn't stretch my understanding enough for David, especially since we have little Bean to consider. And now that I'm with Ethan, I feel guilty that I'm bringing all my life's drama to his present and future." Avery cupped her face with her hands in desperation.

Her dad pulled her for a hug and whispered in her ear, "Don't overthink things. Whatever makes you happy. I'll always be on your side. Never feel guilty feeling the happiness you deserve."