Chapter 48: Some Days Ask For Pity Parties And Comfort Food

Maya

''No, I don't want to watch that stupid movie again.''

It was Saturday night. Which meant movie night for the Barton family. Even in the middle of summer, with the sun out until half past ten, they did these nights. Because they, too, understood the importance of family.

But not inside, in front of the TV. No, they hung a white sheet on a frame in the garden, and projected the movie on there, dragging garden chairs with comfortable cushions onto the grass. It was late, way too late for Maya's bedtime. But she wasn't home, and this was holiday.

''Hey, be nice to your little brother.'' Clint told Cooper off, who sunk in his chair at the idea of having to watch The Lion King. Again. ''He wants to see this, it's his week to choose, so we're watching this.''

Lila bent over the side of her chair - which was next to Maya - to whisper, ''He picks this movie every time. It's exhausting.''

Maya giggled quietly, munching on some fresh popcorn that was still slightly warm from when they made it. She was less than two hours away from her moms, but this did feel like a vacation. A warm summer night with atmospheric lanterns and a movie under the starry sky. What could be better?

During the movie, Lila kept whispering comments to Maya, who had to do her best not to laugh out loud and let the others know they mocked the movie. Which was easy to do with their chairs in the back, behind Laura and Cooper.

In the one and a half days she has stayed here, she and Lila became inseparable. Wherever one was, the other was too, and everybody saw it. They laughed and joked like they had known each other for years, like they grew up together. 

''It's pretty, right?'' Lila caught her staring up at the black sky. Not one cloud keeping her from seeing the bright stars. They were mesmerizing, to say the least.

Maya's cheeks grew red, happy it was dark since she felt embarrassed over gaping at the stars. ''You can't see them in the city. The lights are too bright.''

Lila lit up and sprung from her chair. ''Come on, I'll show you.'' She plucked a lantern from the ground and beckoned Maya to follow into the dark grass field, leaving the movie behind.

''Do not go into the woods! Don't want you turning into Little Red Riding Hood. Stay in the field, and don't go too far,'' Clint called after them, Lila rolling her eyes as she moved towards the darkness.

''Yes, dad!''

Maya wasn't gonna lie, she grew a bit scared the more they left the house behind and moved towards the woods. Who knew what kind of animals this state had? All she's ever known is the city. So, she stuck closely to Lila and to the lantern, squinting to see the tall grass under her feet.

At a seemingly random spot, far away for Lila's liking, she plopped down, placing the lantern at her crossed legs. ''Okay, look. Do you see that bright star right there?'' She pointed at it as soon as Maya sat next to her, their heads close together. ''That's the North Star. It's the one star everything else spins around. But what people don't know is that it isn't actually one star. It's a triple star system called Polaris. My dad always said he used it for navigation when he didn't have a compass or a phone. If you follow that star, you'll always end up North.''

Maya stared at the spot of light until it was the only thing she saw, as if she would be able to see those three stars with her naked eye. ''Do you think they used it on their missions?'' she whispered. The quiet night asked for hushed tones and sitting still.

Lila tugged a piece of grass out the ground and wrapped it around her fingers, a sudden sober expression settling on her face, the mood spun around. ''Yes. He said they never had an extraction plan. He and your moms. They went into a mission with SHIELD help, but they had to get home themselves.''