32.

Maheen and Aditya had reached the temple just in time for the puja. They had although earned themselves a look of disappointment from the old priest.

Once the entire prayer session was completed, Maheen took the the plate with the holy fire and passed it around the attendees for them to take the blessings.

As Maheen reached Aditya who stood last in line, he looked at her and smiled.

"What ?" Maheen narrowed her eyes at him.

"Nothing." He replied.

"Tell me !"

"It's nothing Maheen." Aditya said trying to hide his smile behind a straight face.

"You can keep your face stoic but your eyes are laughing." Maheen said looking at him with scrunched eyebrows. "Are you mocking me Aditya."

"There is nothing you have done that I must make fun of you my Queen."

"Aditya I -."

"Bhaisa Bhabhi." Mohini interrupted them from their banter.

"Yes ?" Aditya turned his head towards Mohini who looked between the two with amusement.

"Maa has called for you."

"Yes I'm coming after your brother relieves me of my duty here."

"Huh ?" Aditya looked at her with confusion.

Maheen thrusted her chin towards the thali she held with the small fire flickering in it.

"Sorry." Aditya said and placed his palm over the fire and then on Maheen's head, blessing her first with the purity and positivity of the fire, he then repeated the same action of placing his palm on his head.

"Done." He said snapping Maheen out of her daze as she looked at Aditya keenly.

It was a small, insignificant gesture Maheen realised, however Aditya has kept her before himself. Her heart felt warm and heavy.

"She is all yours now." Aditya said taking the thali from Maheen's hand and passing it to a woman passing by.

"Maa has called both of you."

"Me ?"

"Yes you too, now let's go !"

•••

The three walked towards Mandira's room. Maheen and Mohini had busied themselves in an animated conversation about about Holi the festival of colour which was to come.

Aditya watched Maheen, was she the same wild cat he had married in Agra, no doubt she still had the large sharp teeth to prove how much of a tigress she was but she wasn't the same woman he had known her to be or pictured her to be.

She had a lot of layers to herself and Aditya was determined to know a part of her if not know her entirely.

As they stepped into Mandira's room, the warmth and red interior welcomed them.

Mandira was sitting on the diwan in her sitting room with multiple trunks half packed in front of her.

"Maa we are here." Mohini said plopping down beside Mandira.

"Mohini, how many times have I told you behave ! You are going to get married soon, you'll be going to another land you can't -."

"Bhaisa !" Mohini groaned getting up and dragging her feet towards Aditya, hugging him.

Aditya let out a chuckle and hugged her back.

"It's okay my love, you don't have to change. You are going to marry Prithvi's brother, he is always going to treat you like his baby sister."