33.

"Are you keeping secrets from me ?" Maheen asked holding the papers in her hand in the air.

Gehna gulped and managed to muster a smile.
"Why would you say that ?" Gehna asked walking towards Maheen and took the papers from Maheen's hand.

"Those letters ... they have Agra's seal. You've been receiving letters from Agra ! Why are you talking to Abeer ? Since when do you two -."

"It was Baba. Both Abeer and Baba can use the seal you know and he ... why would Abeer write to me ? Abeer and I don't talk much you know we-."

"I know, I'm sorry." Maheen said burying her face in her hand. "It's just that I've been feeling very weird, this unsettling feeling in my belly. Like something isn't right, like someone needs me and I -."

"Maheen. Everything is okay. Everyone is okay." Gehna said keeping her toes and fingers crossed.

"Hmm."

"So what did your mother in law want to talk about ?" Gehna asked patting the free space on her bed, calling Maheen to take a seat.

"Rani maa is leaving for Mathura, wants to bring someone home for Holi." Maheen said playing with her Dupatta.

"Home huh ?"

"So how are you liking it here ? I'm sorry I've been such a selfish person all along, I dragged you in my mess and got you here, I know you must be missing Agra and I -."

"I am doing absolutely fine here. And when I want to leave I will." Gehna said placing her hand on Maheen's. "So what are your plans for Holi." She asked diverting the topic.

"I don't know honestly. It's going to be my first in Awadh and I don't know how things are done here. Mohini is going to get engaged to Ayush soon and again I have no idea what role I have to play in that as well." She said exhaling audibly.

"Then you should go ask Aditya."

"If he listens to me I will."

"What do you mean."

"I was stupid, and I was a fool. I think I still am." Maheen said punching the bed lightly.

"I agree and don't punch my bed and break it, come to the point."

"I was a bitch to him, I was horrible." Maheen said hiding her face behind her palms. "Now he just sees the worst in me, we had an argument, I don't think he'd want to talk to me, he thinks I am looking for a way out of here and I don't know what to do."

"For starters go to him and let him know that you don't blame him anymore." Gehna suggested.

"I don't."

"I know, let him know that too. Maybe be a little soft with your words directed towards him, you keep throwing daggers at him."

"I do not." Maheen said rolling her eyes.

"Hear yourself sometime." Gehna replied. "Now get out of this room and find Aditya and sort things out, I have things to do."

•••

Aditya was in his library flipping through pages mindlessly.
He was on his toes, he had to find the whereabouts of his uncle and find his brother and bring him home before Abeer slain his throat, he would deal with what came after it later.

The internal battle Aditya fought was certainly taking a toll on him, he had lashed out at Maheen today and countless other people in the last day.

Rolling the papyrus he tossed it in the drawer and leaned back on the chair closing his eyes.

His head hurt like it was being split open with a chisel and hammer.