76.

Bree and Jace think that I'm sleeping, but I'm wide awake

Bree and Jace think that I'm sleeping, but I'm wide awake. I hear their whole conversation, and my heart starts to beat wildly when I hear the door close again. I know that Jace is here and wants to talk to me, but I'm not sure I'm ready. I'm a little mad, but mostly I'm hurt. Obviously, I know he didn't mean what he said yesterday, but I still didn't like to see him that way. Like a complete different person. 

I was drunk too, but I was still me. I know I danced with a stranger, and I feel terrible that the sight of that was hurting Jace, but I never did any of that intentionally. I would never hurt Jace on purpose.

Speaking of. I feel him stroking my leg over the covers lightly, in an attempt to wake me up. My heart beats even faster. Don't touch me right now. His voice from last night comes back to me, and I almost shed a tear again. I remember everything; his harsh words and the way he looked at that stranger, like he could kill him.

"Mila?" Jace says quietly. Contemplating on pretending to be asleep, I know I wouldn't be able to fool anyone. I turn around to face Jace without a word, showing him that I'm awake already. He sighs loudly at the sight of me. I probably have puffy eyes from all the crying last night. Avoiding his stare, I wait for him to talk. I don't dare to move. "Baby, I... I don't know where to start" he says, still standing in front of me.

I shudder at the familiar sound of him calling me that. Not in a bad way, I guess I just don't know how to react towards him at the moment. He sighs again, clearly not comfortable standing around in the room. "I can't do it this way" he starts, coming closer towards me. "Can I?" he adds, motioning towards the bed. 

It pains me that he thinks he can't come near me, so I nod my head slightly. Jace crawls under the covers with me cautiously, and lays down beside me. I feel right at home again, I didn't like sleeping without him last night. I was too worried about him getting home alright anyway. Jace doesn't waste any time, he comes close towards me and places one hand on my cheek. His head is right next to mine.

"So you want to touch me again?" I ask him weakly. I don't want to make him feel bad, but he's here to talk about what happened last night, so we might as well do just that.

Another wave of pain flashes through his eyes. "Mila, please. Of course I want to touch you. I'm so sorry for how I acted last night. Let me explain" he begs me. Of course I let him.  "Last night was a perfect example for why I've stopped drinking in the first place. It's no excuse, but it turns me into a different person" he says, staring directly into my eyes.

"Then why did you?" I whisper, wanting to know his reasons. He looks hesitant on answering, and I get the feeling that it has to do with the things he doesn't want to talk to me about. "Please tell me this isn't about Derek."

Jace sighs, and I know that I'm right. I can't take it. I remove myself from his grip and shoot up from the bed. I'm too hot under the covers, as I feel that I'm getting worked up. Jace sits up too, looking at me worried.