Past Events and Unspoken Emotions

~~Evelyn Dayne~~

"You were so brave...but that was a dangerous stunt you pulled."

Daenerys says quietly. We lay beside each other one one of the large tents meant for the slaves. Night has long since fallen and everyone is mostly asleep.

"Aye. It was."

"So why did you do it then?"

"I would've had to lie down for them otherwise. I chose to fight and I won."

I say, motioning to the bloodrider's braid that I've tied to my belt.

"I won so that I could keep you safe."

"Where were you?"

Daenerys suddenly asks, completely changing the subject of the conversation.

"When you told me you took Starfall from Darkstar you said you'd come to me as fast as you could."

"And I did."

"Then where were you?"

I sigh heavily, shaking my head.

"I had to help my family."

I say.

"My family needed me and I was never there for the past twenty years. Edric needed me to help secure things and I did exactly that. And now because of that, you now have a House in Westeros sworn to you."

"What?"

"House Dayne stands by House Targaryen from this moment onwards."

I say and Daenerys smiles with a blush.

"I do not deserve such loyalty."

"You do, and more than that. I'd give you the world at a moments notice if you asked for it."

Daenerys' smile falters a little before raising a brow slightly.

"That kiss in the arena... Did that..mean anything?"

I was hoping that conversation could be delayed as far away as possible. I don't even know what to say.

"It was pure chaos..I was panicking, Evelyn. After so many years of waiting for you to come to me, I couldn't let it end before it even began."

"You mean so much to me, Dany... Everyone I had ever known and loved.. Lord Stark, Robb, Theon, Bran, Arya, Jon, Maege...they all left me. But you..you were the only constant. The only one that was there even though you weren't."

I chuckle through a choked sob and Daenerys' eyes glisten. But the smile on her face reassures me and makes me feel good. It's a comfortable silence between the two of us.

She reaches forward, softly taking the string around my neck and she looks at the red ruby tied to it, forming a necklace.

"What is it?"

I sigh a little.

"A ruby."

"I could see that, idiot."

She chuckles softly.

"Where did you get it?"

"I.."

I start but hesitate.

"It's a reminder more so than just a pretty rock."

I say and she looks confused.

"What do you mean?"

"I got the ruby at the Ruby Ford on the Trident River."

It only takes a second for Daenerys' eyes to light up in recognition.

"You.."

"Yes. It was one of the rubies on Rhaegar Targaryen's armor."

She rubs her thumb over in gently, as if she were to out pressure on it it would shatter. But I can say for a fact that it won't. It's survives battle around my neck.

"What is the reminder, then?"

I sigh.

"To remind me that war has consequences. That sometimes, war forces you to make choices you wouldn't think you would ever have to make."

"What did you do that day?"

She asks and a tear slips down my cheek and she gently brushes it away.

"I killed a boy. He was a Lannister, led his army into battle. He was the last one standing and he challenged me to single combat. I was going to spar him but... The Karstark's threatened to abandon my army if I did not kill him so... I cut off the boy's head."

I whisper faintly, ashamed of what I did, even though it was so long ago. Even though I did what that bastard wanted, him and his men still abandoned us. The War of the Five Kings has since ended, and with it, all those lives that were pointlessly taken are wasted.

"But the gods wanted to play a joke it seems. The Karstark's left anyway."

I chuckle without any humor.

"Gods, I didn't mean to sound so gloomy."

"No, no, it's okay. If you want to talk more about..about what happened then it's okay. I'm here for you."

She smiles at that.

"I am actually here for you."

"Oh, Daenerys Targaryen...I would have lost my mind long ago if not for you."

I whisper and we both smile, continuing to talk to each other throughout the night.

~~~~~
A/N

Those two are so fricken sweet. Anywho, hope you all enjoy!

Thank you for reading!