Echo and Narcissus

Back in their dorm after unpacking and attending the entrance ceremony and subsequent feast, Rose and Ode had been talking about what happened on the train earlier that day, Rose let out an annoyed sigh as she bathed in the candlelight coming from her beside table.

"You know, you are kinda like Romeo and Juliet."

That made Rose send a pointed look at her friend.

"We are NOT like Romeo and Juliet."

She paused before continuing.

"I don't fancy him and they both die at the end. Romeo and Juliet is a TRAGEDY"  

"Well it all seems pretty tragic to me."
Stephone said in a sarcastic tone from her own bed, she had the curtains closed but was obviously still listening. Wandlight peeked through a crack in the curtains.

"Piss off, Steph." Rose said as she got under her covers.

"Goodnight to you too, Evans." She retorted as Rose hid her head under the dark green silk sheets.

She heard a few whispers between the two girls before eventually nodding off to sleep.

"Muggle works can be pretty bleak huh?"

"Oh Merlin yeah. You ever heard of Echo and Narcissus?"

The next few weeks went off without a hitch, or maybe there was one hitch one hitch that just kept hitching. Sirius O. Black. The preverbal thorn in Rose's side.

She'd gotten to know the other marauders better, Peter was also from a pureblood family like James and Sirius and Remus was what was called a half-blood, he had a muggle mum and his father was a wizard, though he didn't say much about him. They had meet Remus in their first year and seemed to hit it off just fine. The boys were swell company minus Sirius and Rose could not understand how Lily didn't want to be a part of it. They seemed right up her alley.

They also made for a pleasant breakfast. Rose would drink her tea, laugh with James, glance at Peter to make him blush, and ask Remus(who Rose had noticed the boys begin to call "Moony"(probably because he stayed up so late)) about any ideas for practical jokes he might have brewing around in his head then do it all again the next morning.

Sirius had been right about one thing, she had indeed starting joining them for pranks. Helping the boys with one prank or another and occasionally coming up with an idea herself. 

Including this one in particular, the morning prior Rose had pointed out to the boys just how much fire there was in Hogwarts and it was decided they should try to alter it all some way, possibly at the same time or at least within the same day. They discussed all the things they could do, blowing it all out seemed easiest but also a tad lame, they could transform it to something different, or James mentioned making it red and gold for the quidditch game(which James was beginning to get very good at) but when Moony pointed out that fire is practically red and gold already the gang was at a loss. Then Rose took it upon herself to turn the fire on their table green, showcasing her own solution to their troubles.

"What can I say, lads? I'm fond of green." Rose said with a proud smile. Sirius hated it.

"Bloody brilliant way to ruin it, Thorns." Sirius said with a bit too much sass for Rose at that current moment. Especially considering this was one of many instances in which one or the other had said something underhanded or rude within the last few days. Their arguments were growing in number and hostility.

"I thought we were past name calling, Black."

"That's rubbish and you know it. We prank the Slytherins we don't prank FOR the Slytherins. Might as well invite Reggie to join in at this rate. Not that Reggie could join us with you here."  He said.

His anger was rising.

"I didn't chose to be in Slytherin. I was honest with myself and let the hat put me where I was supposed to be. At least I was honest with myself."

And so was hers. She was speaking louder and faster.

"What are you trying to say?" He asked

"I'm not try— you know what, maybe I am trying to say something. I think you're jealous. You're jealous you didn't get into Slytherin. You're jealous I was friends with your brother. And you're still angry the sorting hat solidified you was as the black sheep of your family."

Or maybe you were a year ago when you first decided you hated me.

"THERE'S the Slytherin the hat sorted."

"Stop bloody saying that!"

The green fires on the table rose to a dangerous size as her anger sparked, getting the attention of a few prefects and probably a professor too.

Peter squealed and James spoke up.

"Calm down lads!" He said standing. Remus followed up James' statement with his own.

"Go sit with Lily. You two are going to work this out later. Don't go to bed tonight. We'll come get you."

"Alright....Cheers."

Rose stood, feeling rather defeated and walked over to where Lily and her friends sat, sitting wordlessly next to her sister.

"What was that about, Rosie?"

It was said with concern. Rose should have reacted differently. She knew that. But as she put her head down she mumbled all she could think to say.

"Please just leave me alone, Evans."